Janet Jackson's Nipple Reconsidered

Janet Jackson’s nipple changed entertainment as we know it. The collective freakout after the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show forced all new rules on television and radio — mostly self-imposed standards, but still. Who can forget scenes like this:

At long last, the Obama administration is rolling back the outrage.

The White House has asked the United States Supreme Court to review the Federal Communications Commission’s decision to fine CBS $550,000 for airing a split-second shot of Jackson’s breast during the 2004 Super Bowl.

As Politico reports, Solicitor General Donald Verrilli Jr. is arguing that the $550,000 fine was warranted “because the indecency rules cover ‘fleeting nudity.'”

You know, everyone blamed Janet Jackson, but Justin Timberlake was equally if not not more to blame for the nipple thing. Oh, and here’s the obvious thing: it was just a partially exposed nipple! Oy.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Censorship and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    The freakout over this was the precise moment when I realized we are collectively fucked as a culture.

  • imavettoo

    God help us, this woman is running for the US Senate this year. Please New Mexico, just say no.

    • JackDaniel07

      Janet Jackson for Senate?
      Awesome!
      *snark*

      • imavettoo

        She would be preferable to Heather.

  • Dan_in_DE

    Sorry, but I find her outrage over a nipple laughable and pathetic. Normal, adjusted human beings outside of puritan America find this hilarious!

  • ninjaf

    Not to re-argue this, but she contradicts herself. She says that there are many parents, like her, offended by this spectacle but at the same time it will improve Viacom’s ratings, market share, and profits. Which is it? Are people outraged that this appeared on teh teevee? Or do they want to see more of it so they will tune in more often, earning higher ratings?

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    What was the big deal? It’s not like Limbaugh calling a woman a “slut” 46 times over three days.

  • muselet

    ZOMG! A nipple! The Republic is doomed!

    The hysterical overreaction to a fraction of a second’s view of Janet Jackson’s nipple reminds me of the time when Homer Simpson barged in on Ned Flanders, who was taking a bath. Flanders stood up, revealing that he was wearing a swim suit. His explanation: “That’s so I don’t accidentally see my shrinky-dink.”

    Why is she so upset with Viacom making a profit over a nipple? Isn’t that how our corporate overlords create jobs?

    Why does she hate free markets?