Mach 20

DARPA, the makers of nightmarish herky-jerky Terminator robots, also made an unmanned vessel called the Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2, that traveled for 3-minutes at an astonishing Mach 20 — 20 times the speed of sound — before its skin peeled off.

That’s 13,000 miles per hour.

The flight test was conducted last August and the Pentagon just now released the results. 13,000 miles per hour.

I wonder what Yeager thought of it. Probably didn’t like the “unmanned” part.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Science and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Wow…around the world in about 2 hours. That’s just around enough time to watch Star Wars as an in flight movie.

  • http://twitter.com/Nanotyrnns Gearóid O’Tuathal

    I bet Yeager thought the “unmanned” part was just fine when he got to the “unskinned” part…

      Ha!

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    The “unmanned” part is actually the most important. A hypersonic vehicle would kill a human pilot if it turned inside a radius smaller than California. Mark it down: we are seeing the beginning of the end of manned combat flight.

      So, are you saying there’ll never be the possibility for me to get to London in an hour? Oh, technology, thou art cruel.

      • D_C_Wilson

        The real bummer is that we’ll never see real-life space battles the way they’ve been portrayed in Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica. Space war is going to look more like Battlebots.

      • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

        No, it just won’t be possible for you to dogfight at Mach 20. But I’m pretty sure you weren’t interested in being a combat pilot :D

    • D_C_Wilson

      We’ve been heading toward that end for over a decade now. Drones are cheaper, lighter, more maneuverable, and dispense with that extra baggage we call the human body and all the tech needed to keep it alive.

  • muselet

    DARPA may fund those “herky-jerky Terminator robots,” but on the bright side …

    Unmanned flight, and even combat, has its uses. But until you can give the operator sitting at the ground console the full range of senses available to a pilot in the cockpit unmanned is not the golden ticket.

    Of course, having been a pilot, I’m a bit biased. But I also have real insight into the split-second decision making necessary when hurling ordnance around. Want to know what the visuals are like for a drone operator? Get a straw and look through it. Compare that to your full range of vision – including peripheral.

    As to riding this thing, Yeager didn’t know whether he’d survive or not. I’m with him – I’d get in this thing any time they’d let me!