Santorum Drops Out

Rick Santorum has reportedly called Mitt Romney to concede, clearing the way for a Romney nomination.

Rick Santorum called Mitt Romney Tuesday to say he is ending his presidential campaign, Yahoo News has learned.

Santorum is scheduled to make an announcement at a press conference in Gettysburg, Pa., at 2 p.m. ET.

Santorum is announcing his retreat at Gettysburg. Fitting, isn’t it?

According to other scattered reports, Santorum offered to help Romney after conceding.

If that’s true, and Santorum really does go to bat for Team Romney, I imagine that will depress GOP voter enthusiasm even further while energizing Democrats.

  • Username1016

    “Santorum Drops Out”? Ew, that sounds messy.

    • JackDaniel07

      e.g.
      “Last night at Taco Bell, Rick made me laugh so hard that some Santorum dropped out”

    This is just a little too early for me. I wanted to see and hear Frothy’s reaction when he got his ass handed to him in the Pennsylvania primary. Oh well, we can only imagine…

    • D_C_Wilson

      Most likely, he dropped out BECAUSE he saw the polling data and realized that he wasn’t going to win Pennsylvania. And if he had lost PA, he’d have no credibility to continuing his campaign.

      • incredulous72

        It’s scary realizing that some folks see him as “credible”.

    Help Romney? Help Romney with what? Is there a religious group that needs to be marginilized? Is there some women that need some healthcare rights stripped? Is there a New York Times reporter that needs to be yelled at and threatened? I agree Ashby, this makes democrats stronger and progressives sound even better.

  • Not Sayin

    I”m not shocked, but the timing is goofy.

    • gescove

      Mitt’s carpet-bombing of Super-Pac fueled ads was going to bury Santorum anyway. He lost his 2006 Senate bid by 18 points, and he was a two term incumbent! Better to pretend to end on a high note than have his ass handed to him on his own turf.

      • Not Sayin

        I just read something else on this – I didn’t realize that Santorum can choose whether or not to release his bound primary delegates, and that if he doesn’t release them, they *have* to vote for him at the convention. Evidently the same does not hold true for caucus delegates. I was trying to go back and count how many delegates that would be, but I can’t find the full chart.

  • incredulous72

    I must admit, I’m a little misty about Santorum dropping out. I guess I was getting used to the batshit crazy.

    This primary has taken it’s toll on me . . .

  • D_C_Wilson

    Santorum has been playing for 2016 for the past few weeks anyway. After losing MD, WI, and DC all in one night, he saw the writing on the wall and knew that a loss in PA would be too humiliating.

    Now for the fun part. Assuming Obama wins in November, then 2016 will be an open election. With his second place finish in the delegate count, Santorum will be the presumptive nominee based on the “Whose turn is it” rule of GOP primaries.

    This year, we had a corporate tool as the presumptive nominee while the social conservatives scrambled to find the perfect Not-Mitt to block the Mormon. In 2016, we’ll likely see the social conservatives cheering on Santorum while the corporate conservatives scramble to find the perfect Not-Santorum to block the Theocrat.

    Going to need a lot of popcorn.