The Most Racist Items from the Jim Crow Museum

American Exceptionalism and all that.

Buzzfeed assembled photos of the most horrendous bits of memorabilia from Ferris State University’s Jim Crow Museum in Big Rapids, MI. While awful, it’s important to remember that this stuff was part of the evolution of America — and, shockingly, an ordinary aspect of American life.

As soon as we forget, we risk repeating it.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • morningsky

    “As soon as we forget, we risk repeating it.” There are a whole host of things that could be applied to. How about war and the economy for starters.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    “Forced busing leads to cannibalism” is one of the funniest goddamn things I’ve ever heard.

    And then I cried when I remembered this shit was going on less than 50 years ago.

  • http://www.broadwaycarl.com Broadway Carl

    You beat me to it, Razor. I was just going to comment that the most shocking thing about it was that it isn’t ancient history. This happened in our lifetimes.

  • Username1016

    The anti-Obama t-shirt (or whatever it is) shows it’s still going on TODAY. Makes ya sick.

    It’s absolutely disgusting. Sigh.

    And, off topic, per the below-the-fold story in the Tattler – how does one get molested with an ice tray, exactly?

  • trgahan

    The agony, the generation that created, consumed, and believed this stuff is still here and still in power. No surprise that 30% of our population is shitty their pants watching a progressive, black president govern successfully.
    The ecstasy, before that generation has passed from power, the U.S. elected a mixed race president with a funny name. We have come a long way in a short time; we still have a long way to go.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    And, looking at some of the comments on that site, it’s clear some fucking idiots still don’t get it.

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    Dr David Pilgrim, the curator, has a powerful explanation of the museum and what it can teach titled “The Garbage Man: Why I Collect Racist Objects” that is worth the time to read: http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/collect/.

    I feel hopeful that the large majority of Americans react to these items now with disgust — and that their preservation (and stories like the one in Buzzfeed) help marginalize the haters that still harbor the racism these items represent.