The Romney Campaign Thinks Latinos Are Stupid

As we’ve discussed numerous times, Mitt Romney’s immigration policy proposals are the harshest out of all past and present presidential candidates during this election cycle. So harsh in fact that he managed to make Newt Gingrich seem compassionate for a few minutes when Gingrich refused to agree with deporting grandmothers.

The lead architect of Romney’s immigration policy is Kris Kobach, the author of “Papers Please” anti-immigration law, who since the beginning of the year has been closely advising the Romney campaign.

Finding themselves trailing President Obama by over 50 percent among Latino voters however, the Romney campaign now appears to be distancing themselves from Kris Kobach, who they now categorize as a “supporter” rather than an adviser.

The only problem is Kobach apparently didn’t get the memo.

Politico’s Glenn Thrush reports today that the Romney campaign appears to be distancing itself from the controversial adviser as it pivots to the general election and seeks to appeal to Hispanic voters. […]

However, Kobach disputes this claim. Reached by ThinkProgress this afternoon, Kobach said, “No, my relationship with the campaign has not changed. Still doing the same thing I was doing before.” Asked what that entails, he said, “providing advice on immigration policy.” “I don’t want to go into great detail, but I communicate regularly with senior members of Romney’s team,” he explained.

As Joe Biden said, Mitt Romney can try to shake his etch-a-sketch and draw a new picture, but it’s not going to work. Because there’s nowhere he can go with this without alienating more voters, whether they’re part of the Latino community or members of the lunatic base.

If Mitt Romney does decide to walk back his position(s) on immigration, it will confirm the suspicion that he thinks voters, and Latino voters more specifically, are stupid. Because he’s relying on the Latino community believing that he had a sudden change of heart after paling around with the father of “Papers Please” for the last five months while he closed in on the nomination.

Mitt Romney declared that “Papers Please” could serve as a “model for country,” but now he expects you to forget all of that.

He wants to have his cake and eat it too. Don’t buy it.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Immigration and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    It won’t help. At least I hope not.

    Kobach still isn’t as embarrassing a supporter for Mittens as Ted Nugent.

  • JackDaniel07

    que barbaridad

  • http://twitter.com/neurrutia col nurrutia

    I am a female Hispanic, from PR (a lot of people don’t know that we are born American Citizens since 1917) Air Force Colonel, live in Maryland (National Capital Region) work in the Pentagon and will retire from the USAF in the next 4-5 months after 36 yrs of service. I tell you all this so my words can be put in context.

    I don’t understand how some Hispanics vote Republican. The GOP, since the 1960s, when they categorized all Hispanics as “people of color” and began their hate rhetoric; as Nixon said “those damn PuertoRicans and blacks”, has been playing on the fear of poor whites, and repudiating Hispanics. To control what they refer to the lower classes, the poor and uneducated whites, they made African American and Hispanics the target of their racism, hate and bigotry, and criminalized both ethnicities. That is why today, the less money, education, and job opportunities poor whites have, the more they align themselves with the GOP. In essence, voting against their own interests, since it’s clearly established that the GOP only caters to the wealthy 1%.

    From my early years in Puerto Rico, and considering that I went to a very preppy Catholic private academy, our classroom showcased all the colors of the rainbow. One of our teachers used to say, “Remember that Hispanics come in all colors”. My best friend today, is a black male, next door neighbor, who my parents became godparents to because of our family friendship. My family was very “white” (not in the US sense of the word), blue eyes, etc. I never knew real racism until I joined the AF at age 23.

    For every undocumented Latino in the US, the million of US citizens of Hispanic descent should stand up for compassion, renewable energy, decency, healthcare, women, Medicare, SS, jobs for the middle class… I can go on, and on. But most of all, for Hispanics today the Democratic Party is the only alternative. Those who allow themselves to be fooled by Romney or any other GOP State or Federal elected officials’ rhetoric, are betraying their best interests.

    So, all this said (on my soapbox), there is no reason why Hispanics or Latinos should never believe Romney, or for that matter, any Republican, for their bigotry, misogyny, racism and elitism, this country should try to make the GOP an extinct species. As of now, I consider their policies are making them an endangered species. Extinction, repudiation, and total annihilation as an entity of the American political realm, should be our goal.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Shaun-Lockett/100000035066919 Shaun Lockett

    The GOtB is trying to redeem itself with Latinos through Rubio’s coming immigration legislation, but we should be framing it well before it hits the corporate press: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/18/1084346/-Marco-Rubio-Pens-S-C-A-M-Act-as-the-GOP-Immigration-Plan

      Unfortunately, framing is not something we Dems do well. But thanks for the link, I will check it out.