Xavier Ends Contraception Coverage. Just Because.

Up to this point Xavier University had already been providing contraception coverage through its healthcare plan, but now they’ve decided not to

Why? Because Obama kicked their dog. Or something.

Xavier University will stop offering contraception coverage through its health plan this summer, according to a report from WLWT News. The Jesuit university will no longer cover birth control or sterilization except for non-contraceptive reasons. Recently, several Protestant colleges warned they might discontinue health insurance to students if the Obama administration did not alter its contraception rule. Some other Catholic universities, like the University of Dayton, have offered contraception coverage in the past and say they will continue to do so. The Obama regulation allows religiously affiliated organizations to opt out of offering birth control.

I’m struggling to follow the logic here.

They were already providing coverage, but now that President Obama wants them to carry it, they’re going to drop it? That’s the chronological order of these events, so I can only assume that had Kathleen Sebelius never announced the new rules, they would still be covering it.

University President Michael Graham says he cannot condone coverage absent a mandate, even though they were covering it before a mandate came into existence. A mandate which they are exempt from, by the way.

I don’t imagine the women of Xavier University appreciate being cast aside just because the university’s leadership is choosing to bow to pressure from anti-birth control zealots. Because this has nothing to do with the Obama Administration’s rules. They were already covering it!

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Healthcare, War On Women and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/ronrichie1 Ron Richie

    Shows me they’re a bunch of phony hypocrits.

    • LIttleThunder

      That pretty much applies to any religious zealot of any religion. All hail
      atheism!

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    Typical Ohio.

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      Yeah, but it’s actually close to KY

      • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

        Oh believe me, I know… I live mere minutes away from Xavier.

        I’d understand deep red Kentucky, but Ohio is an infuriating place to live. This has nothing to do with morals and values, it’s all about playing politics with women’s health. It’s sick.

        • ShitMcFuckensteinAVC

          You got to get away from Cincy. We’re a little more sane here in Dayton. Even in deep red states big cities tend to vote for Democrats. Cincinatti is a strange outlier.

          • JMAshby

            Close to Dayton aye? I’m just outside to the south in Miamisburg.

          • ShitMcFuckensteinAVC

            Fairborn

  • atlavely

    Maybe Graham wasn’t aware of the coverage until the issue arose…

  • muselet

    You skipped a couple of steps in the chronology, Ashby:

    1) Xavier covered contraception.
    2) Obama Administration required employers to cover contraception.
    3) Bishops threw a wobbly.
    4) Obama Administration exempted religious organizations.
    5) Bishops threw another wobbly.
    6) Xavier decided to drop contraceptive coverage.

    See? It makes perfect sense now.

    I’m waiting for someone to just finally say that Obama has cooties.

  • Chachizel

    Fuckin’ crazy. These people are a disease, and the republicans and Faux News are spreading it. Insane!!!

  • Draxiar

    Oh the mob mentality at work! And really, that’s what it is…a mob mentality. Didn’t their Moms ever talk to them about jumping off bridges?