They Can’t Be Serious

This is a little shocking even by NBC’s standards.

In a contract that NBCUniversal is calling a “groundbreaking multi-platform agreement” Ryan Seacrest, the longtime host of American Idol and E! Entertainment news will become, among other things, a reporter/analyst for NBC News during the 2012 election. The New York Times’ Brian Stelter reports that Seacrest’s new two year deal will make him a “special correspondent” for the Today Show and will include contributions to NBC’s Olympics coverage. Some sort of deal with Seacrest was long expected since he is viewed by many as one of the most versatile and well-liked hosts on television and Mediaite was first to report that NBC talked to Seacrest about hosting the Today Show if Matt Lauer left his perch as co-host.

I’m not a Ryan Seacrest hater, however I don’t believe hosting American Idol and Dick Clark’s (RIP) Rockin’ New Year’s Eve qualifies you to provide analysis for one of the most important elections in our history.

In her defense, Chelsea Clinton did at least have political experience in that she spent time on the campaign trail in 2008, her mother is the Secretary of State, and her father the former President. Seacrest, on the other hand, leaves me drawing a big fat blank.

This has nothing to do with substantiated analysis and everything to do with drawing in more viewers, and it’s shameless.

(via @Chernynkaya)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Media and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Miranda

    I’m sorry but I find this to be totally hilarious…and sad. This just confirms what we ALL know anyway…this is the direction of the media. So nobody look shocked when Kim K gets a news segment gig with CNN.

    • D_C_Wilson

      And ABC News will retaliate by snapping up Lindsey Lohan as their new foreign correspondent.

        If either Kim K or Lindsey L get a job as a journalist, I am definitely cancelling my cable subscription.

  • ArrogantDemon

    They’re being honest with us and telling us they, the MSM is a fucking joke.

    They’re not even trying to hide the fact they’re infotainment anymore, hell. no real info in that to boot

    Whats the matter, Willie Geist was seen as too serious?

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    The media treats politics like American Idol anyway, so I can’t say I’m shocked. Insulted, but not shocked.

  • http://twitter.com/Satur9 SaturNine

    Ah, lovely, someone to make us feel nostalgic for the gravitas of Willie Geist.

    • JMAshby

      Serious guffaw here

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_S7NUGMJ2FDHYATRLWFEFCC5CQI schemata

    Shorter MSM: fuck you, America

  • gescove

    OMGZ! I hope it’s in 3D!!

  • agrazingmoose

    It has been all downhill since ABC hired Dennis Miller to do Monday Night Football.

  • muselet

    From Chet Huntley and David Brinkley to Ryan Seacrest. Good grief.

    On the plus side, maybe we can use the spinning of Walter Cronkite and Edward R. Murrow in their respective graves as an alternative energy source.

    • MiddleMittenLiberal

      That’s exactly what I was thinking (not to mention, Peter Jennings, et al.)

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Ryan Seacrest. The seventh sign of the apocalypse.

  • villemar

    MSM just went Full Retard.