This Could Have Cost the Election

Testimony from the trial of John Edwards is making a bad situation look even worse.

The ex-aide said that he complained to Edwards’ campaign finance chairman Fred Baron about hiding Hunter, but was rebuffed because the campaign hoped Edwards would be tabbed as a vice presidential candidate for the 2008 Democratic ticket. “[Baron] told me I needed to stay focused on the job at hand,” Young said. “He told me to take a deep breath. Do the best I can.” Baron, he said, “wanted us to try and hold on until the Democratic National Convention.” […]

On Tuesday, Young told the court he was instructed by Edwards to approach Rachel “Bunny” Mellon, the widow of banking heir Paul Mellon, “and ask for a noncampaign expense, something that would benefit him.”

Young said he used the money from Mellon to rent Hunter a house for $2,700 a month and bought her a BMW at Edwards’ direction.

My opinion of John Edwards is quickly going from contemptuous to revulsion.

The existence of a mistress alone would have be enough to cost the election had he been selected for vice president, but he also continued to spend lavishly on her while coveting the position.

As if no one would ever find out, and without any regard for the damage he could do.

Sleazeball.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2008 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

    Edwards was a political hero of mine. When this story came out, I felt personally betrayed. The more I learn, the more that sense of betrayal grows. He’s done great damage and deserves appropriate punishment.

  • http://www.mastermassagetables.com/ Master Massage

    Though it’s difficult to see him as a lively Obama VP … but an AG nod seemed reasonable, even likely. And even the damage that could have done sends a cold shiver down my spine.

      Lively, I’d say he was pretty lively! :) Best typo ever!

      • http://www.mastermassagetables.com/ Master Massage

        Doh!

  • http://twitter.com/kcivey KCIvey

    It is disgusting, and we really dodged a bullet. But I’m having trouble understanding how these expenses are being defined by the prosecutor as campaign expenses and then called illegal.

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    These revelations are all fluff as far as I’m concerned. From my perspective, as a cancer patient, the moment he cheated on his ill wife he became a no-good sonofabitch, with no punishment too good for him.

      Totally agree.

    • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

      Yup.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Hear hear!

    I’m afraid I never liked John Edwards, starting from the first VP debate, when he used every scuzzy trial lawyer trick in the book to distract attention from Dastardly Dick. None of this is surprising to me.

  • rikyrah

    I still get a shiver when I remember Edwards was being pushed as the ‘ safe Southern White Guy’.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I always thought there was something phony about him. Even so, the depths he’s sunk to amaze.

  • agrazingmoose

    I’ve got to admit that I was snookered about this guy.