Today's Post for the Daily Banter

It’s Either Obamacare or Bust

If the ACA goes down, there won’t be any replacement for a long, long time. And it certainly won’t be single-payer.

Go read my post here.

Also, I will posting an essay-length piece every weekday at The Daily Banter from now on. Tomorrow will be the mail bag.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    If the ACA goes down, it will demonstrate that we can’t reform health care through the private insurance system, viz., while leaving that system intact. We can only do it through tax-funded public insurance, or by resorting to abject cruelty.

  • MauryF

    I read Bob’s article, and then looked at some of the others. I found this quite interesting and relevant: http://www.thedailybanter.com/2012/04/the-founders-musket-mandate/

      Ai yi yi, that’s all we need, something to make SCOTUS point to a precedent to force everyone to carry a gun. That sound you hear is the NRA having an orgasm.

  • muselet

    Such a plan would involve disbanding all private insurance companies …

    Not necessarily. The French have a national health system that provides fairly generous benefits to all, paid for by taxes. The French also have a large—and profitable—private health-insurance industry which provides supplemental coverage (since the 1980s, so have the British).

    The one doesn’t preclude the other.

    It’s interesting to observe the typical power dynamic of all this. Historically, the poor and the disadvantaged– the powerless– have always been shit on and left for dead. Minorities, poor women & children, the elderly and infirm, Labor, consumers, etc. The first ones scraped off the battle fields and the last ones into the life boats are the poor and the disadvantaged. They are the first ones targeted for cut from their government protections. Their societal vices are taxed for their perceived sins– disproportionate to the sins of scammer-capitalism. Their national equity and civil rights are ravaged by greed and class warfare. But with ACA, the (working)poor and the disadvantaged are poised to achieve a win that is rightfully theirs. Access to a regulated health insurance market. A major equalizer that now hangs on the whims of right wing corporate lawyers in robes who are comically reluctant to abide by an act of congress and a democratic president. It’s contemptible behavior and unbecoming of a nation of laws in the face of this repugnant historical injustice that’s well passed its time for government remedy.

    Throughout American history, the Courts have ruled that congress has the constitutional authority to mandate conscription. That you can be drafted into war against your will, imprisoned for your refusal, and run out of the country to avoid prosecution. Not for people like Dick Cheney, or George W. Bush, though. For an individual to give their life and liberty in the name of compulsory participation in war is constitutionally sound, according to history, but to these right wing justices, the government mandating procurement of health insurance is some “crazy power grab” beyond the constitutional palate of judicial schizophrenics such as themselves. And why? Because the poor and the disadvantaged just might get some power and justice.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1730451827 Jane Phillips

    Thanks for moving to TDB. I was barely tolerating HuffPo’s culture to read your essays, although you may still be posting there occasionally?

    Nice job on this one, too. I do agree with muselet’s comment, however, that a national healthcare system does not necessarily mean that private insurance and care go away.