Bachmann Catches Romney Fever

By now we’re all aware of Michele Bachmann’s endorsement of Mitt Romney. Here are 10 things Bachmann has said about Romney, via ThinkProgress:

1. CAN’T BEAT OBAMA — “He cannot beat Obama,” Bachmann told ABC News in December. “It’s not going to happen.”

2. ‘NEWTROMNEY’ — During the moment that Newt Gingrich was on top, Bachmann lumped the two leading candidates together as single entity — “NewtRomney” — a corrupt insider who supported socialized Medicine and other nefarious liberal polices. “When you take a look and people say this is a two man race I would agree, but the one man is ‘NewtRomney’ and the other man is Michele Bachmann, the only proven consistent conservative,” she told CBS News.

3. ROMNEY WRONG ON IMMIGRATION, CLIMATE, STIMULUS — Bachmann went on to say that ” ‘NewtRomney‘ are on the same side as the president when it comes to cap and trade, the $700 billion bailout, illegal immigration, even the payroll tax this week.” “NewtRomney” also “advocated for the healthcare mandate,” she said.

4. ‘BIG GOVERNMENT CANDIDATE’ — During a debate in Iowa, Bachmann charged that “Mitt Romney is the big government candidate.”

5. ‘CHAMELEON’ — In a speech in Florida, Bachmann called Romney a “chameleon” for his propensity to change positions in the political winds.

6. NOT PRO-LIFE — At the same speech, she said, “If you look at Mitt Romney, he…has been very inconsistent on his positions. He has been both sides of the abortion issue, on both sides of the issue of same-sex marriage.”

7. PRO-GAY MARRAIGE — Bachmann accused Romney of signing “189 same-sex marriage licenses.” This attack was false, but Bachmann said it cast doubt on Romney’s willingness “to fight against same-sex marriage.”

8. INDIVIDUAL MANDATE — Bachmann repeatedly hit Mitt Romney for implementing the antecedent of ObamaCare while governor of Massachusetts, saying the dreaded individual mandate “was Newt Gingrich’s idea, and Mitt Romney implemented it.”

9. NOT COMMITTED TO REPEALING OBAMACARE — Bachmann often criticized Romney’s plan to repeal Obamacare, which she said didn’t go far enough. “You’ve got to full-scale repeal it, and I don’t think the governors have that level of commitment to do it,” she said in a radio interview in Iowa.

10. ROMNEY ENDORSEMENT FALSE — Back in February, Bachmann seemed to take offense at the prospect of endorsing Romney, demanding the Boston Globe retract a “completely false” story reporting that negations were in the works. “Let me be absolutely clear — there are absolutely no negotiations between me and the Romney campaign regarding any pending endorsement of Governor Romney,” she said in a statement.

As we said on the podcast earlier, Bachmann and other Republicans aren’t supporting Romney because of Romney. They’re supporting him because he’s not President Obama.

  • http://twitter.com/KenInCO Ken Johnson

    “When you take a look and people say this is a two man race I would agree, but the one man is ‘NewtRomney’ and the other man is Michele Bachmann, the only proven consistent conservative,” she told CBS News.

    Did she just admit to being a transvestite?!?

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Well, OK. We all know that primary contestants trash each other, then get behind the nominee once he’s nominated and take back everything they said about him. There’s also nothing unusual about supporting the nominee because he’s not the opponent, and not because one is terribly enthusiastic about that particular nominee; that’s largely how I felt about Kerry in 2004. I would wager a lot of GOP fans will feel that way this year, because their hatred of the President is so over-the-top and all-consuming and there’s really no particular reason to get excited about a vacuous automaton like Romney.

    If there is something different about it this time, something that might lend itself to Obama campaign ads quoting other Republicans trashing Romney during the primaries, is that for lack of a better way of putting it Republicans have become so crazy and ridiculous, and the things they say have become so crazy and ridiculous, that it’s exceeded the bounds of what primary candidates typically say about each other and have typically said about each other in the past. Perhaps Republicans have become so deeply invested in the tactic of scaring the public into voting for them, by painting their opponents as dangerous un-American radicals bent on destroying everyone and everything, that they don’t know how to campaign any other way even against other Republicans.

    Pro-gay marriage?! I lived in Mass. when the Goodridge decision went down and Willard did everything short of chaining himself to the courthouse doors to stop it. I suppose though that in Michele Bachmann’s “mind” not doing that does make him pro-gay marriage.