Best Persons

Honolulu County Council makes it official:

By now, it’s hardly news when a city bans plastic bags at checkout counters — but an entire state? That’s happened in Hawaii, where Honolulu County has joined the state’s three other counties to give Hawaii a first-in-the-nation title.

Plastic grocery bags are a blight. With recycled paper readily available there’s no reason for them, unless of course we’re looking for crap that litters back alleys and won’t decompose for centuries.

And it goes without saying, there’s limited landfill space on these islands and even though Honolulu burns its garbage for energy, the outer islands do not. That, plus the scenic beauty here isn’t improved with plastic Walmart bags stuck in Kiawe bushes.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    WOOT! Bravo! More of this please!

  • Username1016

    As someone pointed out, single-use containers of any description are nothing but pre-fab litter.

  • BadSaratoga

    Time for the other 49 states to follow suit.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    Until someone comes up with a better container for scooped cat litter, plastic bags are here to stay!

    • Draxiar

      Trash Can?

      • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

        Ever dumped cat litter straight into the can? That smell is never coming out.

    • D_C_Wilson

      They’re also the best way to pick up dog poop.

      • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

        As I’ve come to learn in the last two weeks after we adopted one.

        A dog, not a plastic bag.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_YJTRJCOIMLAN6EARLFOQXJHDF4 Roxanne

    OMG Bob! You live in Hawaii now? That’s my dream. Someday I’m going to move there. I’m basically part fish. I love the ocean and Hawaii’s beaches are just stunning. It’s just beautiful and this will help to preserve that.

      I do. I live on the Big Island. Best place ever.

  • http://twitter.com/JimmyAbra Jimmy Abraham

    Would the Paulites consider this “big government”? I know they think states should make the rules, but if it their theory holds, then the state making a decision for the state that locals munis can make on their own, isn’t that also “big govt”?

    • Clancy

      For Paul-libertarians, even local control is trumped by individual liberty and individual liberty is trumped by whatever ‘private’ businesses want. This is due to property rights trumping every other conceivable right. Because of this, I’m pretty sure they would be opposed to bag bans as they trample on individual freedom and the free market.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Sigh. Most of the grocery stores in Harrisburg don’t even provide paper bags.

  • kullervo

    So how do you think we round up our trash every week? We buy plastic bags. What happens if we forget to bring a recyclable bag to the market? Paper bags. What do fast food places do? Paper bags. Not a perfect system.