Bin Laden's Dead, Romney Would've Let Him Go

The president hit back at Mitt Romney’s claim that anyone would have ordered the attack that killed Bin Laden:

“As far as my personal role and what other folks would do, I’d just recommend that everybody take a look at people’s previous statements in terms of whether they thought it was appropriate to go into Pakistan and take out bin Laden.

“I assume that people meant what they said when they said it — that’s been at least my practice. I said that I’d go after bin Laden if we had a clear shot at him, and I did. If there are others who have said one thing and now suggest they’d do something else, then I’d go ahead and let them explain it.”

While I love this, I hope the president doesn’t spend the entire campaign trying to unravel all of Mitt Romney’s flip-flops. It’s fun, but the message ought to remain: Bin Laden is dead because we didn’t let him get away this time.

  • stacib23

    The saddest part of all is that the president should have to even say any of this. If we had a media that actually did their jobs, Mitt Romney would have been called out to explain his newest statements the moment they fell from his mouth.

    • Miranda

      The mainstream media will carry water for the GOP from now till Nov. We betta get used to that.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Thank God we have Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert to tell the media that they massively suck at their jobs.

      • stacib23

        Actually victorthecrab, I think Jon Stewart has done a fair bit of sucking at his job for the last few months. Maybe he’s getting too close to Bill O’Reilly.

        • MrDHalen

          Stewart has been working that “Both Sides” meme more and more when it’s been getting less and less for years now.

          Colbert has been great!

          • Brutlyhonest

            On the raising the student loan interest rate fiasco, Stewart started out OK last night. Then he went into the both sides are yelling at each other on the House floor so they’re the same line. For his next segment, he went the firebagger route demanding everything LGBT be “fixed” with an executive order.

            I wonder if he watches his own show. If so, how can he not see that he has become self-parody?

        • Victor_the_Crab

          Well I hope you watched tonight’s show where Stewart gives the right wing crybabies the well deserved beatdown they deserve for whining about Obama’s new ad where he took down Bin Laden and they didn’t. Then tell me again if he still sucks at his job.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Rob-Fairman/1507058515 Rob Fairman

    The thing that gets me, and I haven’t seen anyone bring this up, is that Romney said ” even Jimmy Carter would have ordered the raid.” Apparently holding up Carter as the poster boy of pussy-ass peacenic Dems when in fact he provided us with the prime example of how badly a special forces mission into another county can go wrong, i.e. the Iranian hostage rescue mission. Carter made the call to carry out that mission and took the blame when it went bad, just as President Obama would’ve had to do if the Bin Laden rain went south.

    • Brutlyhonest

      Indeed, sir. I’ve always shaken my head at how we in the military have been, over time, absolved of all responsibility for fucking up that operation.

      Also, too: President Carter was another veteran who served honorably and NOT a chicken-hawk.

    • Zen Diesel

      The point the Mittens is missing that a President has the final say and makes the call, and will take all the blame or credit depending on the outcome of the mission. I don’t view the failed mission that Carter sanctioned as a sign of weakness. He did what he that was right. Unlike GW, who failed to pull the trigger when he had the chance.

    • muselet

      James Fallows addressed that line at The Atlantic. It’s short enough that excerpting it makes no sense, but it’s well worth a read.

      –alopecia