Birther Sheriff Joe Arpaio Tries to Bully Hawaii

Like Donald Trump before him, Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio has dispatched a team of pathetic rent-a-cop whackjobs to the state of Hawaii in search of confirmation that President Obama was born there. Because the word of the state government and all other available evidence just isn’t good enough.

Not to be outdone by the Arizona secretary of state’s recent flirtation with birtherism, Sheriff Joe Arpaio escalated his probe into President Obama’s birth certificate this week by dispatching a deputy from his “threats unit” to Hawaii.

Both the Arizona Republic and the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported deputy Brian Mackiewcz traveled with Arpaio’s volunteer posse member Michael Zullo on Monday to try to get an official confirmation that Hawaii has the president’s birth certificate on file. […]

The Star-Advertiser reported that Zullo and Mackiewcz flashed badges on Monday when they showed up at the Hawaii Department of Health. Mackiewcz apparently also handed over a business card showing he is part of the Arizona sheriff’s “Threats Management Unit.”

It’s long past time for an intervention. Joe Arpaio belongs in a prison cell.

This is clearly racially-motivated, and Arpaio and his band of fascist disciples need to be removed from the stage before they further embarrass the nation.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Clancy

    One report indicated that Deputy Mackiewcz’s airfare, hotel room, and car rental in Hawaii were paid for by the county sheriff’s department. I have no idea how the laws for these sorts of things are written in Arizona, but even if Arpaio planned to later reimburse these things out of some private fund, this would generally raise all sorts of misappropriation of government funds and services red flags in most places. If they do not in this instance, this will be yet another example of how banana republican Maricopa County has become.

      Oh my, then we are far beyond a Banana Republic! Arpaio held a big press conference a few months ago where he supposedly announced something ridiculous about the findings of his Volunteer Birther Squad (a bunch of geriatric Arpaio followers). Though the squad was voluntary I guarantee county resources were used. This stuff is just the part of the iceberg we can see.

      The only people who can deliver justice to Arpaio is the DOJ and I doubt that they will in the end.

      • D_C_Wilson

        I have to ask, is anyone in Maricopa County actually buying that Arpaio is doing this nonsense out of sincere desire to find the truth and not a cynical effort to deflect attention away from the federal indictment that’s about to drop into his lap?

          Well the County Board of Supervisors isn’t buying it, the press aren’t but the weird thing is the only people who will publicly say that he is full of poodoo is the reporters at The Phoenix New Times (that’s the free magazine in town). People are afraid of Joe. He destroys people’s lives if they cross him.

    I posted this under the earlier thread re: the AZ Sec of State…..

    The AZ officials are purposely ignoring the fact that Gov. Brewer, back in 2008, was the Secretary of State and she allowed candidate Obama on the state’s ballot. So he’s already, technically and legally, been “verified”.

    Another point re: Arpaio…I did a timeline over at my blog in regards to the progress of the DOJ investigation of him versus his public actions in regards to the birther crap. He is using it as a distraction from his crimes AND as a defense against being arrested. He thinks (and he may be right) that if the DOJ does want to arrest him, that they won’t now because he will start hollering about how it’s all a conspiracy of the WH to get him. A lot of people in AZ will believe him, unfortunately. Arpaio is simply covering his ass (and as usual, being an ass).

    http://drangedinaz.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/just-doing-hi-jo/

    • D_C_Wilson

      I’d love to see someone ask Arpaio to show them where in the law the county sheriff has the authority to verify presidential candidates.

        Me too! In his stupid press conference a couple of months ago he actually said, ‘I’m just doing my job ‘. Um, noooooo you aren’t.

  • muselet

    “Aloha, gentlemen. Here’s a dictionary. Look up the word ‘jurisdiction’ on your drive back to the airport.”

      I would love to have been there to see the reaction of the Hawaii officials as they told Joe’s boys to go back to Arizona. I myself will finally be leaving Arizona in a few more days.

      • muselet

        The [Honolulu] Star-Advertiser reported that [Arpaio’s volunteer posse member Michael] Zullo and [deputy Brian] Mackiewcz flashed badges on Monday when they showed up at the Hawaii Department of Health. Mackiewcz apparently also handed over a business card showing he is part of the Arizona sheriff’s “Threats Management Unit.”

        I hope, I really do, that the reaction to these two yokels waving tin around was hysterical laughter.

        It’s a nice fantasy to think Hawaii would chuck them out of the state, but that would be rude, and Hawaiians aren’t very good at rude.

          LEOs will usually show professional courtesy but that will only mean that the Hawaiian officials will politely show them the door.

          • muselet

            Sure, except these yahoos were at the Hawaii Department of Health, so no professional courtesy.

            Again, I hope they were laughed out of the office.

      That’s the part of the story that kills me. Did they really think they could strongarm officials in another state?

      • muselet

        Apparently so. Delusion runs deep in MCSO.

        –alopecia

    • http://profile.yahoo.com/T2IELIWG6SK7JTYIRTOFZS7AIM Former Repub

      You could tell them to drive back to Arizona and they’d probably think about it.