Fail of the Day

When your candidate for president has etch-a-sketched his way into an entirely different person from the time he served as Governor, when he committed atrocities such as giving people healthcare, things like this happen.

The Rove-founded American Crossroads released a video this week that drew widespread media attention. It launched what is fast becoming a key GOP attack line: Questioning Obama’s record on “public equity.”

The video slammed Obama for investing government money in green energy companies like Solyndra, and losing it when the companies hit the skids. “Public equity President Obama — playing Wall Street games with our money,” the vid intones.

It turns out, however, that one of the companies in the ad also received millions in government money from another administration: That of Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

Whoops?

And herein lies the problem for the Romney campaign in the 2012 election. They have to lie, because if they don’t that would mean they have to run on the record as it stands. Otherwise they would have nothing to talk about. It’s all negative all the time.

The Obama campaign does not have that problem. There are plenty of good things to run on. And unlike the lunatic base of the GOP, the Democratic base will not prevent President Obama from running on his genuine accomplishments.

    The current joke about Romney’s record as governor of “Taxachussetts” is that neither campaign wants to talk about it. Romney’s campaign doesn’t want to talk about it because it makes him look like a moderate and the Obama campaign doesn’t want to talk about it because it makes Romney look like a moderate.

    This is the inherent contradiction the GOP is facing with Plastic Man as their nominee. He had to morph into the fire-breathing anti-government nut to get the nomination. Now he faces the problem of appealing to moderates. I don’t think he can do it. He’s shown time and again that he lacks the spine to to even take one toe in the direction that might alienate the lunatic fringe.

  • Brutlyhonest

    I saw a fluff interview piece with teh Rmoney on CBS tonight: The look of glee on his fully-smirked face while talking about high unemployment was eery. Can you imagine the shit storm that would result from ANY Democrat – in office or candidate – being happy about things being bad for people?

    … the Democratic base will not prevent President Obama from running on his genuine accomplishments.

    Except there is a large chunk of that base that won’t even admit that President Obama has genuine accomplishments. Idjits.

    • Scopedog

      “Except there is a large chunk of that base that won’t even admit that President Obama has genuine accomplishments. Idjits.”

      Exactly.

  • mrbrink

    It’s not like Mitt Romney’s going to be running on a platform of alternative energy investment and development, climate change, or facts, or honesty, or kindness to animals.

    And you’re absolutely correct, he’s got to lie. And his supporters fully understand this.
    And his pivot to swing voters– I wouldn’t be surprised if internal memos say things like, “if you hear Mitt Romney say something that sounds like empathy, or reasonableness during speeches or debates, ignore it.”

    Whatever it takes to seize power.

    It’s a ruthless motherfucker over there.

  • Scopedog

    Which is why there needs to be an “all hands on deck” movement to get the vote out in November. No more “But Obama failed us and both parties are the same!” bullshit. No more.

    If we didn’t get the message after 2010 that “sitting it out” because you didn’t get your pony was the absolute WRONG thing to do, we’d better wise up–and fast.

    • http://twitter.com/kraftytess Tessa

      I agree completely with this. I’ve been working since January with OFA and all of us expect a close election and an agonizing 5 months ahead. However the stakes are way too high not to have this fight. I’m in Cali and we are phone banking to Wisconsin right through 6/5 so if you hear someone saying Obama’s not helping Wisconsin, don’t believe it!

      • agrazingmoose

        Thanks for your work Tessa!