GOP Filibusters Student Loan Rates

Attention college students — the Republicans are not on your side.

Senate Democrats’ effort to avert a student loan interest rate hike fell prey Tuesday to a Republican wall of opposition. GOP members declared their support for the cause but grumbled about how the majority party wants to pay for it.

A motion to proceed went down along party lines, 52-45, falling short of the 60 votes needed to break a GOP filibuster. [...]

The Dem legislation would freeze Stafford loan interest rates for some 7 million students at 3.4 percent — averting a rise to 6.8 percent in July if no action is taken — by closing a tax loophole on high-income owners of some private corporations. The revenues would be raised via Medicare and Social Security payroll taxes, potentially blocking a stream of future funding keeping existing funding intact.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) delivered his usual spiel about not raising taxes on the Job Creators, because they’re the ones who are supposedly going to hire students facing an interest rate hike. Something they already don’t seem to be doing in great enough numbers.

The Republicans’ preferred method for paying for an extension of student loan interest rates is to repeal part of Obamacare. Specifically, the Prevention and Public Health Fund which, not-coincidentally, could also make the lives of college students easier.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • ElayneB

    Hmmmm, how do we know some of these former students aren’t in fact job creators?

  • muselet

    I heard McConnell on radio today saying that nobody wants the interest rates on student loans to rise, but the problem is getting Democrats to agree on how to pay for them in an election year. Because Ds are more interested in politics than they are in policy, or some such.

    I didn’t punch my car radio when I heard that. I’m kind of proud of my self-restraint.

      I heard the same clip and I think the woman driving behind me was trying to make sense of the steam billowing out of my ears.

  • KAboink

    And when will the media start reporting on the flagrant abuse of the filibuster rule time after time after time after time…..hell, these wingnut bastards hold the filibuster obstruction record since time began!

    • Draxiar

      I figure they’ll report it if Dems even whisper the word…and then, of course, the Repubs will cry foul and obstructionism.