Heinous Charges Against Joe Arpaio

I can think of no other way to describe the charges against Joe Arpaio handed down by the Department of Justice today other than absolutely heinous.

ThinkProgress documented the 10 most disturbing charges described the DOJ involing Latinos. They go way beyond forcing inmates to wear pink underwear and pink handcuffs. Here’s a few of them.

Forcing Women To Sleep In Their Own Menstrual Blood: In Arpaio’s jails, “female Latino LEP prisoners have been denied basic sanitary items. In some instances, female Latino LEP prisoners have been forced to remain with sheets or pants soiled from menstruation because of MCSO’s failure to ensure that detention officers provide language assistance in such circumstances.”

Assaulting Pregnant Women: “[A]n MCSO officer stopped a Latina woman – a citizen of the United States and five months pregnant at the time – as she pulled into her driveway. After she exited her car, the officer then insisted that she sit on the hood of the car. When she refused, the officer grabbed her arms, pulled them behind her back, and slammed her, stomach first, into the vehicle three times. He then dragged her to the patrol car and shoved her into the backseat. He left her in the patrol car for approximately 30 minutes without air conditioning. The MCSO officer ultimately issued a citation for failure to provide identification.”

Stalking Latino Women: “In another instance, during a crime suppression operation, two MCSO officers followed a Latina woman, a citizen of the United States, for a quarter of a mile to her home. The officers did not turn on their emergency lights, but insisted that the woman remain in her car when she attempted to exit the car and enter her home. The officers’ stated reasons for approaching the woman was a non-functioning license plate light. When the woman attempted to enter her home, the officers used force to take her to the ground, kneed her in the back, and handcuffed her. The woman was then taken to an MCSO substation, cited for ‘disorderly conduct,’ and returned home. The disorderly conduct citation was subsequently dismissed.”

And this man monster has been allowed to continue doing this for the better part of a decade by his constituency.

Other charges not detailed in this summary include shackling inmates to walls and using the power of his office to harass and investigate political opponents, including judges.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    Off-topic but that new Daily Banter crawl at the top is coming straight down the page and covering the first several posts. Had the problem all day with both Firefox and Chrome.

    • JMAshby

      We initially had the same problem. Try emptying your cache and refreshing. I also use Chrome.

      • http://twitter.com/AlanFors Alan Fors

        Is the “recent comments” widget that used to be in the right column gone for good, or just temporarily missing while y’all are rearranging the furniture?

    • i_a_c

      On Windows, press Ctrl-F5 on one of those pages.
      On Mac, it’s Cmd+Shift+R.

      This will redownload all the files from the server and should fix your issue.

    • Ipecac

      Thanks, but that didn’t work.

      • i_a_c

        If that didn’t work, then clear your cache:

        http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache

        • Ipecac

          It happened on two different computers, neither of which had accessed the site since yesterday.

          If it’s not happening to anyone else, no worries. I figured it must be widespread.

        • Ipecac

          Never mind. That last bit got it. Thanks!

  • eljefejeff

    so he’s a lowlife criminal asshole. we’ve known that all along

    • D_C_Wilson

      He’s more than just a criminal. He’s a proud fascist.

  • Ned F

    But on Fox News, it’s actually Sheriff Joe who is the real victim here. Poor Arpaio is just a victim of liberal media bias. Really. I’d like to bias him to some dark Latin American prison.

  • Zen Diesel

    This dude is a pimple on society’s ass, what a sorry POS, good job DOJ. Glad to see him going down.

  • 1933john

    Thanks for the info, it cleared up my I-pad.

  • KAboink

    After stonewalling for years whilst costing taxpayers millions of dollars, this zit on America’s taint is finally going down. Not to mention the pain and suffering this horrible man has caused so many families.

  • trgahan

    Amazing what parts of our society can do when it spends so much time de-humanizing a group of people. And they say hate speech propaganda on TV and radio has no repercussions…

  • muselet

    I really want to see Joe Arpayaso’s perp-walk.

      You know how much I want to too….I want to see his facist ass in some pink jailwear.

    What I find so amazing is the fact that so far, the only people to face consequences for the ongoing corruption and abuse of power are those around Arpaio. Andrew Thomas and one of his former deputies were disbarred recently for persecuting via prosecution his and Arpaio’s political enemies on the County Board of Supervisors (who are supposed to be the Sheriff’s bosses and who have been trying for years to rein him in). Many deputies ranked pretty high up and in Arpaio’s inner circle have also suffered some kind of repercussions such as firing, loss of pension, etc.

    It has been widely known and discussed in law enforcement circles (and in the only investigative news source in the state, The Phoenix New Times) that Arpaio’s jails have the highest per capita death rate even when compared to much larger cities and counties. We have more sudden and unnecessary inmate deaths than Los Angeles, New York City, etc. And everyone knows he is corrupt, and if the surface corruption is so well known it stands to reason that all of the really hidden and so far unknown corruption will be far worse. I have been writing about him since I started blogging a couple of years ago.

    And still the people of Arizona elect him every damn time. He manipulates the local media very well and Arizonans are woefully ignorant. I am praying that the Feds take him down and take him down hard. Like Alopecia says, I want to see that perp walk dammit!

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_TLHIXVS2CHDJNWYPZJIZ5NNZ3A Robert

    Yes, we liberals need to support the second amendment. The activities of Sheriff Joe and his monsters are evidence.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Are you proud of this fat piece of shit Arizona? Of course you are. You also elected that scary piece of shit Jan Brewer as your governor. You’re an embarassment on your own.