Maurice Sendak, 1928-2012

Another cultural icon is gone.

The Associated Press reported that Sendak died early Tuesday at a hospital in Danbury, Connecticut after having a stroke on Friday. His longtime caretaker and friend, Lynn Caponera, was with him.

The popular children’s book author wrote “Where The Wild Things Are” in 1963. He won a Caldecott Medal for the book in 1964, and was adapted into a movie in 2009.

Here’s a brilliantly hilarious interview between Colbert and Sendak from earlier this year.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Books and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    I LOVE that guy (Mr. Sendak), and the clips were absolutely wonderful…….thanks, Bob!

    Adding….I’ll probably be stealing them from you tomorrow for my morning quote.

  • peonyharp

    I read his books as a child, and in turn read them with my children. The world’s become a little dimmer with the loss of a gifted storyteller/artist.

    NPR has been re-airing archival interviews with Mr. Sendak throughout today — in fact that’s how I discovered he was gone.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Some of the best interviews Colbert has ever produced. He had a great tribute to Sendak in the second segment of tonight’s TCR.