Quote of the Morning

“There is one gold standard, one gold standard for children. That is: there is no substitute for a marriage between a man and a woman. I want the law to discriminate against straight people who live together — I used to call it “shacking up,” but now it’s called cohabitation. I want the law to discriminate against all alternative lifestyles, against gays and unions. I want to promote and to put in a privileged position that institution of marriage between a man and a woman, which has been shown over and over to be the gold standard.” Bill Donohue

Hmm. Not too long ago, Catholics were considered an alternative lifestyle and were heinously discriminated against. They were excluded from country clubs and higher offices.

As Ashby posted several days ago, Save The Children’s most recent study concluded that America is ranked 25th just below Belarus on the list of nations best suited for motherhood. So no, raising a child in America under “traditional” marriage rules isn’t even close to the “gold standard.” Maybe we should open the door a bit and let some other parental configurations give it a shot.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_TLHIXVS2CHDJNWYPZJIZ5NNZ3A Robert

    “I want the law to discriminate against all alternative lifestyles, against gays and unions.”

    Restated: “I want the law to enforce my religious views on everyone.”

    Sorry Bill, this is still American and fortunately we have a constituion that protects the rest of us from a**holes like you.

    I never knew Bill Donohue coined the phrase “shacking up”. I guess the Catholic League does hold sway in modern culture.

  • Draxiar

    Longer ago they were considered a cult and fed to lions in the Colosseum.

    Perhaps this guy should endure some discrimination (not be fed to a lion, mind you…that’s mean…but you get my point) to understand the meaning of “Love thy Neighbor”…a common theme in Christianity (and other religions) that politically vocal christian conservatives are so quick to forget.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      “Perhaps this guy should endure some discrimination (not be fed to a lion, mind you…that’s mean…)”

      Yes it is. For the lion.

  • http://twitter.com/themattmcd Matt McDaniel

    I want priest to stop molesting altar boys but we can’t have everything, right Bill?

  • http://twitter.com/YQRosie Stephen LaRose

    Jesus was born from the womb of an unwed mother, and he also had two fathers. Didn’t seem to hurt him.

    • RS Janes

      Stephen, Jesus’ teenaged mother Mary was hitched to an old man, Joseph, but he didn’t impregnate her, according to Bill’s religion. Then her son died via crucifixion as a common criminal of the day, after proclaiming himself the Son of God, or so says Bill’s Pope. Imagine what a field day Rupert Murdoch’s tabloids would have with that story if it happened now.

    Holy shit. These people really do say and mean this stuff don’t they? Frightening…

  • laddieluv

    “Gold standard,” my Irish bu.tt.

    Domestic abuse. Adultery. Spousal rape. One spouse controlling the others. Child abuse. Incest.

    For starters.

    Divorce rate/50%.

    And that doesn’t even address all the sad, terrified people staying in marriages of horror ‘cuz they don’t know how to leave………….

    Hey, Bill. You bigoted religious “whack job.”

    med check. stat.

    blech.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    How’s that advertiser boycott of the Daily Show working out for ya, Big Fat Bill? Not even Fox News wants to help you with that one.

    We all know that this was NEVER about the welfare of children….it is about maintaining the patriarchal structure of our society, which is derived from Christianity and which is dominated by white males (here in the US, Note in Uganda it was Black Christians that wanted to make homosexuality a crime punishable by death, but still a very patriarchal society). When I was a kid in the 70′s, not all that long ago, my mother was rejected by “decent society”, I.e., church folks, because she was a “divorcee”. Her kids, they tolerated because we were by definition poor children being led astray by our hussy of a mother. It was sickening then and it pisses me off that it is still around and so strong.

  • RS Janes

    I assume Bill Donahue was raised by both a mother and father in a traditional Catholic household, so what happened to him? He’s ignorant, peevish, nasty, domineering, and stupid. Meanwhile, the kids of gay couples tend to be openminded, tolerant, understanding, loving, and sympathetic to others. Gee, who would the New Testament Jesus rather hang out with should he reappear?