The Worst Person in the World

Sean Harris, the Senior Pastor of Berean Baptist Church in Fayetteville, North Carolina for giving his followers permission to beat the gay out of their kids. Specifically, he suggests, “Give ‘em a good punch!”

So your little son starts to act a little girlish when he is four years old and instead of squashing that like a cockroach and saying, “Man up, son, get that dress off you and get outside and dig a ditch, because that is what boys do,” you get out the camera and you start taking pictures of Johnny acting like a female and then you upload it to YouTube and everybody laughs about it and the next thing you know, this dude, this kid is acting out childhood fantasies that should have been squashed.

Can I make it any clearer? Dads, the second you see your son dropping the limp wrist, you walk over there and crack that wrist. Man up. Give him a good punch. Ok? You are not going to act like that. You were made by God to be a male and you are going to be a male. And when your daughter starts acting too Butch you reign her in. And you say, “Oh, no, sweetheart. You can play sports. Play them to the glory of God. But sometimes you are going to act like a girl and walk like a girl and talk like a girl and smell like a girl and that means you are going to be beautiful. You are going to be attractive. You are going to dress yourself up.”

You say, “Can I take charge like that as a parent?”

Yeah, you can. You are authorized. I just gave you a special dispensation this morning to do that.

Not only is this child abuse, but it’s also kind of a hate crime, isn’t it? Beating a child because he or she is gay. That sounds like a hate crime to me.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/groobiecat Groobiecat

    Saw this and was appalled, like anyone would be. Of course, this really is what the right believes today. And they do nothing about it. Just like this asshole:

    War on Women Continues: Bain Capital-Owned Station DJ Suggests Listener’s Gay Daughter be Raped Straight

    http://groobiecat.blogspot.com/2012/04/war-on-women-continues-bain-capital.html

    Not to spam, Bob, but I don’t think many people aware of this putz, and it truly amazes me…

      Holy crap…

  • http://twitter.com/Nanotyrnns Gearóid O’Tuathal

    How long before we find out his kids aren’t exactly models of Christian temperance and masculinity/femininity? A few days? How long before we find out this asshole, with his special dispensations, is no winner at fatherhood?

    I’m gonna put my money on 48 hours.

  • BadSaratoga

    Sean Harris is definitely perpetuating a hate crime here. No doubt.

    Why aren’t these “evildoers” in jail?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    I’d say we beat the evil ignorance out of Sean Harris until he decides to be a good human being. Or until he has to take painkillers, whichever comes first.

  • jmby

    I expect his Bishop or to whomever it is this decidedly un-Christian fuck answers, to remove him from his congregation, the ministry and Baptist Church altogether. Then file papers in court to have this abusive bully’s children removed from the home and interviewed, for their protection. We should all very vocally demand it.

    Any member of his parish that does not immediately leave the congregation and ensure he has no contact with any child are as guilty as he is of child abuse. And of inexcusable, mind-blowing ignorance and intolerance. This type of thing is why my family refers to Fayetteville as Fayette-Nam – it’s a backwards, barely livable place beyond the edges of civilization in so many ways.

    Beyond disgusting.

      The problem jmby, is that his bishop thinks like he does–probably even wierder and meaner.

      • vgranucci

        Actually, there are no Bishops in the Baptist church. Each local congregation can hire and fire their own leaders.

    I continue to warn Catholics and evangelicals that it isn’t going to be long before Christianity becomes irrelevant in the public square. And when it happens, religious people have no one to blame but themselves.

    As an ordained minister and chaplain, it grieves my soul when I hear the things I hear from people like Sean Harris. I assure you, this pinhead does not speak for all people of faith.

    But it is also worth noting that Sean Harris’s attitudes weren’t born, they were created. Evangelicals sold their soul to the Republican party during the Reagan administration–because (they say) the Republicans believed in what they believed. Shortly after the wholesale sell out of the faith to the conservatives, the right wingers and evangelicals concocted the “war on religion” which as we know, doesn’t exist. (The war is an effort to stomp out all other religions and force everyone to be Christian–right wing Sean Harris style baptist conservative Christian).

    What the right wingers and evngelicals–and Catholics as well–did not count on was postmodern thinking. Most conservative Christian thinking exists in a modern paradigm. One does not have to think much to understand it: Everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Ok, that is good modern theology. But it is necessary then to add on to that. If you are gay, you are going to hell and you should. If you are Muslim, then you are a radical terrorist (or you affiliate witht them) and you are going to hell. If you are a Christian, then you must think this way as well: Science is evil and the work of the devil. You must also believe that the bible has all the information we will ever need for any situation, purpose, thought, or supposition about anything that we might encounter. It’s all in there–and every word of it is flawless and true. Especially that part about being gay–that will send you to hell. Look it up–its in there.

    However, post modern thinking has rolled like a steamroller and laid to waste most of our modern thinking–which is a good thing in terms of opening our minds to what is possible. And postmodernity has influenced Christianity in many ways–or at least it has influenced the people who adhere to its principles. Postmoderns tend to be people who are more apt to believe that we should let everyone be who they are supposed to be. Live and live they would say. Postmoderns are also people who will not just sign up for something and sell their soul to any religion without questioning its values.

    Sean Harris is perpetuating a hate crime in front of people (100% white, conservative, affluent, narrow-minded salmon all swimming in the same direction) who have sold their soul to a faith and ideology that will not continue to thrive in a postmodern culture. It is a limited audience for a limited time. Sadly, he–and others like him–are just too stupid to realize that they are dragging a faith that has stood the test of time right down the drain of irrelevance. And it is happening right before our very eyes.

  • Clancy

    Curious that he didn’t go full-Neanderthal when it came to daughters. . . little girls act a little too “butch,” and he advises fathers to say ““Oh, no, sweetheart. You can play sports,” as long as you “act like a girl” otherwise. However, those sons give off even a whiff of femininity (or appear weak) and you punch him?

    • Clancy

      I should note that Neanderthals were in all likelihood better human beings than Harris.

      I apologize for slandering them with the comparison.

  • mrbrink

    This psycho should be arrested for inciting violence against children.

  • http://twitter.com/YQRosie Stephen LaRose

    What Would Jesus Do? Kind of doubt it would involve punching kids.

    • kushiro -

      He was a bit too busy traveling around with a large group of men, in between touching the hands of unclean men, weeping, going to weddings, and that one time he kissed a dude.

    It is a hate crime. Beating a child because you hate the fact that he’s gay and think you can beat it out of him…….pretty damn hateful.

  • Draxiar

    Kinda sounds like the father next door in “American Beauty”…how long before this guy revelas he’s a closeted gay man too do you think?

  • Ipecac

    Wait a minute. I think you guys are rushing to judgment before getting all the facts.

    Was this four year old with the limp wrist wearing a hoodie?

    The Pastor is awaiting your apology.

  • pgeorge

    Awful as it is to read the transcript, it was even more nauseating to watch the video. And to hear the crowd noises.

  • trgahan

    So..flipping through the bible, there is this part where the keepers (and enforcers) of the law asked Jesus (the presumed son of God) what was the most important law. His answer was “love thy neighbor as your love yourself” is by far above all other laws. I can’t find the part where he says “wait, scratch that! Hate and marginalize gays is most important?” Can anyone give me chapter and verse for that one?

  • http://twitter.com/QuadCityPat Patrick

    This is so fucking offensive on so many levels. You have no idea how many people use a 2000 year old book of fairy tales to condone abuse of children. This guy makes me fucking sick . Somebody please punch this fucker. Not in the face though, I’m thinking about 3 1/2 feet below the face.

  • gekido

    Even worse than this wingnut’s preacher-ranting were the people in the audience agreeing with him.

  • muselet

    As I said at Matt’s place:

    Hey, great advice. Make absolutely certain your children grow up in a constant state of seething rage and resentment.

    What could possibly go wrong?

    –alopecia