Wait, What?

The circular logic is mind-bending.

Via ThinkProgress, the Log Cabin Republicans have responded to President Obama’s statement on same-sex marriage by condemning it, calling it offensive and callous.

COOPER: That the president has chosen today, when LGBT Americans are mourning the passage of Amendment One, to finally speak up for marriage equality is offensive and callous. Log Cabin Republicans appreciate that President Obama has finally come in line with leaders like Vice President Dick Cheney on this issue, but LGBT Americans are right to be angry that this calculated announcement comes too late to be of any use to the people of North Carolina, or any of the other states that have addressed this issue on his watch. This administration has manipulated LGBT families for political gain as much as anybody, and after his campaign’s ridiculous contortions to deny support for marriage equality this week he does not deserve praise for an announcement that comes a day late and a dollar short.

The Republicans are on the ones on a mission to ban same-sex marriage, and it’s President Obama who is offensive and callous for officially supporting same-sex marriage? This coming from a group of self-identified gay Republicans?

What?

It’s time to stop calling them “Log Cabin Republicans” and just call them “Republicans,” because there is no daylight between them and rest of them. They’re equally blinded by their hatred of the president.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    You have GOT to be kidding me! REALLY! This is a major face palm moment.

  • joseph2004

    Question is (and I’ve got no problem never have with same sex marriage), why did it take Obama so long to get on the right side of what seems so obvious a civil rights question?
    Good for him for doing it, but this could cause problems for him with, for example, Hispanics in particular ( I trust, however, that this little fact won’t be overplayed here ;-).
    But it shines a light on the interesting dynamic Hispanics bring to politics for liberals. One is that Hispanics (according to a 2007 Pew Hispanic Poll) are overwhelmingly religious. “68% of Hispanics identify themselves as Catholic, most other Latinos are scattered among a variety of Protestant denominations, with no one denomination capturing more than 7% of the total. Fewer than one in ten Latinos (8%) say that they are atheist or agnostic or that they have no specific religious affiliation…” Ever watch Spanish-language TV? There is absolutely NO hestitation by Hispanics, Mexicans – you name it – in demonstrating how important their faith is to them. Bash those crazy Christians at your peril. If Hispanics continue to vote mostly Democratic and keep their religiosity, given the growing importance of the Hispanic Voter, would you not expect the Democratic Party to “evolve” to reflect that trend going forward?

    Whether Obama in fact really “evolved” to believe same-sex marriage is the right course is questionable. CBS News tonight speculated that one major reason for Obama “coming out” now is to appease major Hollywood donors, who apparently make up something like 1 in 6 of his big-money supporters.

    Regardless, I say hurrah. On this issue we can agree. Same sex marriage is a threat to nobody. It will be a while before an overwhelming American populace is completely comfortable with it, but it will arrive there eventually.

    http://www.pewhispanic.org/files/reports/75.pdf

    • JMAshby

      And we can have your concern when we pry it from your troll hands.

      • joseph2004

        I know. When a “troll” shares one of your beliefs, it chafes. Liberals are very protective of “their” causes.
        You’ll get over it, in time, little Ashbaby.

          And right wingers aren’t protective of their causes, Joseph? yeah, right.

          “Ashbaby”

          Hey, goes both ways, josie.

        • JMAshby

          When they qualify their beliefs with a dozen reasons why it may be a bad thing, yes. Classic concern trolling.

        • mrbrink

          You win anything between the ashtray, and the thimbles. Anything, below the stereo, and on this side of the Bicentennial glasses. That includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers.

          – The Jerk

    • Lazarus Durden

      Eh maybe. But the GOP certainly hasn’t done itself any favors at winning over Hispanics with their xenophobic, and racist paranoia over immigration. In fact if they were more inclusive they’d be winning over Hispanics, and probably African Americans too since they are very religious traditionally as a population.

      But unlike White people Hispanics, and African Americans know they are marginalized so they usually vote for politicians who have their economic and civil rights interests at heart. That’s the Democrats. Now you can argue about economic models, but as a voting block they’re not stupid. The GOP is horrible with anyone not fundamentalist Christian, white, and the rich.

      I don’t think support among Hispanics slips. In fact if Obama dove tails this support for the gay community into a broader inclusion for immigration reform being civil rights then I think he solidifies the Hispanic base.

  • Clancy

    Another point of criticism for the Log Cabin Republicans’ statement is that their contention that North Carolina is/was the only state in which marriage equality will be a ballot issue. They contend that “LGBT Americans are right to be angry that this calculated announcement comes too late to be of any use to the people of North Carolina, or any of the other states that have addressed this issue on his watch.” Both Washington and Maryland (perhaps it will also appear on the ballot elsewhere) are going to vote on marriage equality in the general election in November. The legislatures in both states passed marriage equality laws that will likely require voter approval due to petitions by opponents. The President’s support does not come too late in those states.

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    F%ck the LCR’s. What have they done?

  • mrbrink

    Glad we can all be adults about this. Bwhahahahaha.

  • EsiS

    Not to mention, the president came out strongly against NC’s amendment before Tuesday. So…

  • Lazarus Durden

    This is my only response for the Log Cabin Republicans:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

    Shorter Log Cabin Republicans: He didn’t hit me. I walked into a door.

  • MatherZ

    I’ve been reading all sorts of commentary (some of it right here) since his comments broke that Obama’s position is purely politics-based, that he’s doing it for votes/money/youth-motivation, that he knows it’s a toothless position to take, all this stuff. And we can argue about whether taking this position is actually toothless, or if he’s actually going to lose votes/money by alienating those who disagree with him, all that stuff, till the cows come home.

    But none of that matters, because HE’S RIGHT. And he’s the first person with his level of clout to be right on this question. And maybe there’s a part of him in there somewhere that is still thinking about the question, but I don’t care, because he’s come out and said it, and it can’t be un-said.

    He thought about it, and came up with the right answer. He even showed his work.
    Full marks.