Worst Persons in the World

She belongs in the Worst Person Hall of Shame, so this category almost seems too forgiving. The queen of modern wingnuttia, Phyllis Schlafly founded a group called the Eagle Forum and this is what it had to say about the growing minority population here:

It is not a good thing. The immigrants do not share American values, so it is a good bet that they will not be voting Republican when they start voting in large numbers.
[...]
Instead, the USA is being transformed by immigrants who do not share those values, and who have high rates of illiteracy, illegitimacy, and gang crime, and they will vote Democrat when the Democrats promise them more food stamps.

That explains why the far-right — especially old-schoolers like Pat Buchanan and Schlafly — are so kerfuffled. First, America is becoming more brown and therefore “ghettoized” (their term) and, two, the brown people vote Democratic. They simply don’t believe that America can remain civilized and ordered if brown people take over, so they will use whatever means at their disposal to oppress the minority and immigrant population. This is racism illustrated.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Worst Persons and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • agrazingmoose

    Why do evil people live so long?

    • D_C_Wilson

      Spite

  • Pamela Moore

    At least she admits her racism openly. She is only saying what the right-wingnutia is thinking.

  • caribbeanobserver

    Sorry,…but what are ‘ American values’ as displayed by these folksies,again?

      To fear and hate anyone who doesn’t look, think, and believe exactly as you do.

  • Ned F

    I see why many Republicans don’t believe in evolution, this woman is living proof.

  • Brutlyhonest

    “The immigrants do not share American values, ..”

    Remember when being a Nation of immigrants/melting pot was a source of pride? Oh yeah, that only applied when the immigrants were white Europeans. As long as they weren’t Irish. Or Catholic. Or Jews. Fucking bigots.

    • Scopedog

      Well, I’ve got two strikes against me then, because I’m not only an immigrant, but I’m a black guy to boot. Deep down, though, I figured this was coming. Ever since Obama won back in ’08, the dike has been opened, and the flood of racism-because that’s what it is–has just come flooding in like a great wave. The Right isn’t even trying to hide it anymore–sure, they’re using the code words, but I have a feeling that all bets are off this year.

      What is more disturbing has been the racism (or racial insensitivity) from some on the Left. THAT has bothered me, starting from Nader’s “Uncle Tom” statement to the toxic brew that FDL has become to the embrace of Ron Paul despite his horrific views on race–dismissed by people like Robert Scheer and Glenn Greenwald just so they could squawk about how Paul was better than Obama because of Paul’s views on the Drug War and on war itself.

  • http://twitter.com/kraftytess Tessa

    This is from a couple of years ago but is still applicable now. I’d like to send it to Schlafly & Buchanan and watch them implode

    http://bit.ly/cMBHyp

    I can’t find it now, but I read a piece on this yesterday wherein they attributed that post to Schlafley’s son. So this is really a Generational Worst Persons.

  • bphoon

    That, and she is assuming that “American values”=Republican values. And here I thought that “American values” include such principles as inclusion, tolerance, compassion…silly naive little Democrat me.

    “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses…” “We hold tbese Truths to be self evident, that all Men are created equal…” Oh, well…

    By the by, Ms. Schlafly’s surname doesn’t sound particularly “American” to me. I wonder where her (or, I suppose, her husband’s) forebears came from. Did they “share American values” when they emerged from steerage or whatever class they sailed in? Were they some of the immigrants that good Americans of the time wanted to shoot on the docks? Say–is that one of those “American values” she’s talking about?

    • JWheels

      I agree 100%, there is something wrong with somebody who assumes the only way to exhibit American values is to vote Republican. That very notion in and of itself is completely un-American.

  • joseph2004

    There is some irony here. Bob, you’ve been warning white America that retribution by “brown” people is on its way. You seem genuinely worried that when, as you say, the brown “takeover” comes, white America is in for its comeuppance. It might explain why you and Ashby (assuming you’re both white – not claiming 1/32nd this or that) are trumpeting so loudly, hoping to avoid “the inevitable” yourselves.

    I’m not sure why you think that future is coming. Maybe you can explain what you are so frightened off.

    What you don’t have is a solid policy stance on immigration beyond just accusing anyone of being racist who thinks indiscriminate immigration policy is the wrong approach. That’s a pretty simple approach, and it doesn’t address real issues, such as the costs illegal immigrants impose on local and state budgets from social services to schools. Your overall approach is to “debunk” these problems and write it off as just more hate toward “brown” people.

    • JWheels

      I’m not sure what universe you live in but are there unicorns there?

    • Victor_the_Crab

      You must eat a bowl of stupid for breakfast every day to maintain that level of sub intelligence, troll.

      Bob and Ashby don’t warn that “retribution” is coming from ‘brown’ people. They’re simply pointing out (as they do often) that individuals who have a tendency to deny rights to those who differ from them are fighting a losing battle.

      PS that 1/32nd comment reveals your assholery more blatantly than anything else you’ve ever written, joe-joe. So it’s okay to discriminate against someone who’s part black, brown, red or yellow, but god forbid they should claim that heritage as a point of pride? Dick.

      • mrbrink

        That 1/32nd comment stands on the shoulders of genocide.

        More recently, when Republicans invaded Iraq, the museums and cultural artifacts were allowed to basically burn to the ground to protect oil pipelines. Then came the hundreds of thousands dead and a billion years of poisoned landscape.

        After everything we’ve been through as a country, all that we have learned, these people, still, are not above co-signing acts of genocide.

      • D_C_Wilson

        I’m pretty sure that 1/32nd comment was meant as a dig at Elizabeth Warren. There was recently a bout of fake outrage over the fact that people were calling her a native American because she’s 1/32 Cherokee.

    • mrbrink

      So what’s your Final Solution, Adolf? A Trail Of Tears, or something?

    • D_C_Wilson

      Setting the immigration issue aside for a moment, perhaps it would help if you explained exactly how saying an entire group of people, all of whom just happen to be nonwhite, “don’t share our values”, is not racist.

    • Scopedog

      Wow. I mean, I’ve read clueless shit before, this is going in the Top 10 list.

      Seriously, let me send you some money to buy a bigger shovel. That pile behind you is pretty large to begin with.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=626946810 Olivia Pitts

    Who knew that their campaign against contraception would backfire so badly? Apparently they didn’t think far enough ahead to realize that making contraception and abortion difficult for poor people and immigrants to obtain would only increase their numbers.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    What a waste of oxygen given to that dispicable Phyllis Schafly.

  • muselet

    Hey, Phyllis, your sheet is showing.

    –alopecia

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/JCDCHH4HEO72VOFU2S54IE7S5I Judy

    Or German. At one point even Franklin (early on – he changed) was worried about the German immigrants coming to America because they didn’t speak or wish to speak English and they would be turning the whole country into German speakers, ruining the country with their “ways” etc. etc.
    All anyone (unless they had Indians in their background) would have to do is look back in their family history and find out how many of their ancestors were considered “different” and were not really welcomed in America.
    It seems so simple to treat people who may have a different skin color, who have a different background or religion (not extreme – every religion has those) or different sexuality with respect. Treat people like you want to be treated – you know, that….Think it would have an affect on how those people would treat you later on.
    Doesn’t mean you have to believe what they do in everything but just see them as human beings and go from there. There are good people everywhere and there are bad people everywhere in every group, yes, even white people. It’s always funny when a terrible crime or some scandal or drugs and addiction is in the news (or hey, even just down the street) and it’s white and you don’t feel like everyone who is white is like that because being in that group you see everyone as an individual. Also why do white people (and i am one) not think they are an ethnic group? There seems to be a lot of talk about ethnic groups as everyone else.
    We’re still a young country and we have always been “changing” and will continue.
    Oh well, i know this is naive but still am an older person and haven’t changed my thoughts about that yet so I think they’ll stay.

  • mrbrink

    Oh, okay. But we’re not supposed to point out that people like Louis Gohmert has the brain of a monkey’s ass, or John Boehner, who along with the majority of Republicans, terrorize the full faith and credit of the United States from the tree tops of power, hindering rule of law, accountability, and equal protection with their collective obstruction more than any non-white ever could. Got it.

    Look! Over there!

    It’s the immigrants! The Gays! Black people! Unions! Jew-Liberals!

    We don’t need anymore Barack Hussein Obamas!

    • Scopedog

      Right on. It’s distraction, plain and simple.

      The sad fact is that you cannot expect the MSM to hold their feet to the fire and call them out.

  • D_C_Wilson