Astroturfed

Whether or not NPR and NBC News were aware of his background, they should be embarrassed for turning to a member of the NFIB for the genuine reflections of a downtrodden small business owner who just lost his freedoms.

via Balloon Juice

This morning, NPR’s Yuki Noguchi wanted to know how an ordinary small business owner feels now that the Obama health care law has been upheld. So she turned to [Joe Olivo]

Last night, Anne Thompson of NBC News wanted to know the same thing. So she turned to … [Joe Olivo]

[…]

Go to many of these links and you find out something about Joe Olivo that NPR and NBC didn’t tell you: he’s a member of the National Federation of Independent Business. NFIB’s site and YouTube page promote many of Olivo’s public appearances. He was the subject of an NFIB “My Voice in Washington” online video in 2011.

NFIB, you will not be surprised to learn, is linked to the ALEC and Karl Rove’s Crossroads GPS, and to the usual rogues’ gallery of right-wing zillionaires.

The Supreme Court case to decide the fate of Obamacare was NFIB vs Sebelius.

NPR and NBC passed off a member of the NFIB as your regular Joe small business owner, when in reality he’s as much of a regular Joe small business owner as Joe the Plumber is a licensed plumber. Which is to say not at all.

It must be that liberal media bias bleeding through.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Media and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ned F

    I once belonged to the NFIB back in the nineties. They sent out reps who would stop into your place of biz and tell you all of the great work in Washington and at the state level they were doing to help small business. The president of the NFIB was the CEO of a business in my county. I signed on because they were lobbying for healthcare reform, and they said that was the single biggest concern among small biz owners. After five years it slowly dawned on me that this organization really didn’t have any of my interests in mind and was a just a shill for the Republican party. When the rep stopped by for his annual visit armed with brochures, questionairs and my yearly dues bill, I told him of my dream and desire for universal health insurance. He left sputtering nonsense never to return again. That was 2002 or something.

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      Ned, I am a sole proprietor (really small business) and this ruling is great news. I’ll only have a couple years of this benefir before I rolle into Medicare, but I wish this measure would have happened years ago. In fact, I wish a single payer plan would have been implemented years ago, but alas…

  • muselet

    It says something about the current crop of *ahem* reporters that they reach for their Rolodexes to find The Official Spokesperson For All Small Businesses Everywhere instead of walking down the street and entering actual small businesses.

    –alopecia

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      Lazy is as lazy does.

    What media? We have no fucking media. What we have are a bunch of corporate owned networks with highly paid plastic greedy people who don’t give a rat’s ass that they’re constantly lying to and misleading the American public.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      So true, so true!