Corporations Own Our Elections Now. All Of Them.

Where Citizens United opened up federal elections to limitless corporate money, a 5-4 decision yesterday by the Supremes has done the same for state and local elections.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday struck down Montana’s century-old limits on corporate political spending, putting an end to the state’s resistance to Citizens United and effectively expanding that controversial ruling to the state and local elections.

Plainly said: McDonald’s can fully finance candidates for school board with more money than God (imagine school lunches in five years), and Walmart can run candidates for county boards and mayoral races, giving them carte blanche on zoning and taxes. Consequently, corporations will own every level of our electoral system now.

[Thanks to David Benowitz Attorney at Law]

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Campaign Finance and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mrbrink

    They set the precedent, then site their precedent as the precedent– to set more precedent.

    The Supreme Lords write in striking down Montana’s “century-old limits on corporate political spending”: “In Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, this Court struck down a similar federal law, holding that “political speech does not lose First Amendment protection simply because its source is a corporation.””

    The little police blotter ruling revealed a right wing con court that is bored with all this talk of selective states’ rights and unlimited corporate speech drowning out democracy.

    How do they get away with this bullshit?

    We the People are now officially They the Rich. We are a full-blown oligarchy now. And I fear the only methods to stop it or change it will not be pretty. A revolution anyone?

    This is now officially the worst, most broken Supreme Court since the 19th century. You know, you can impeach Supreme Court Justices. Do they even know whats in the Constitution I wonder.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Scalia doesn’t even think he has to read the laws he’s ruling on.

  • Chachizel

    Disgusting. Crazy how white middle class people don’t see all this shit that is happening. Really