Ex-Felons Need a Credit Report to Vote in Iowa

I can see how ex-felons might have to jump through a few bureaucratic hoops to regain their voting rights after serving time, but this Iowa law is totally ridiculous.

Ex-felons, for example, have to complete a lengthy questionnaire that includes the address of the judge who handled the conviction, pay a filing fee, and submit a full credit report.

What does a credit report have to do with anything? I suppose in this era of increased corporate participation in our elections, they might want to make sure you don’t owe them any money. Yeah, sorry, your credit card bill was late four years ago. No vote for you.

I don’t know. But obviously that’s all beside the point. This is another right-wing method of disenfranchising lower-income and minority Americans.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/Zirgar Zirgar

    I read somewhere that not only will you be unable to vote without a credit report, you’ll also have to attend a FreeCreditScore.com band concert. So, it’s actually worse than you thought…

    • D_C_Wilson

      The original band that just made a comeback or the newer one that just got fired?

  • D_C_Wilson

    And the address of judge?

    Seriously? You want convicted felons looking up the addresses of the judge who presided over their case?

  • hidflect

    …and guess correctly how many bricks were used to construct the local courthouse.