Kerry Plays Romney

While others are cracking jokes and poking fun at the choice, I think this is brilliant.

President Obama has tapped Sen. John Kerry, the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, to play Republican Mitt Romney in mock debate rehearsals, Obama campaign officials and the senator’s office confirmed Monday.

Kerry will help Obama prepare for among the most consequential events of his reelection campaign — the three fall debates against Romney. As the senior senator from Massachusetts, Kerry has studied Romney’s career and campaign style for nearly two decades and has first-hand knowledge of his record as governor.

John Kerry may not have been the most engaging presidential candidate, but he’s also brilliant and more familiar with the tactics, memes, and phony arguments the Right Wing makes than possibly anyone else.

Kerry is no lightweight on matters of policy or history either.

  • http://twitter.com/Nicotone Anthony Esparza

    Kerry killed George W. Bush in the debates.

  • D_C_Wilson

    It is ridiculous. I mean, who would think a fantastically wealthy Massachusetts aristocrat who has an awkward sense of humor and a chronic inability to connect with ordinary Americans could possibly be a good stand in for Mitt Romney?

  • Markoo

    Romney is just a plug tinyurl.com/6p9eokc

  • JackDaniel07

    please lord, no photo ops

  • mrbrink

    John Kerry isn’t a lightweight on policy, but Mitt Romney is.

    So Romney’s debate preparation will involve slipping in a lot of right wing talking points and a disciplined adherence to repeating the phrase “jobs and the economy” with a fatherly condescension that says, “I’m full of shit, but this is for your own good, America.” He’s going to be treating America like one of his sons ran off with a stripper named Cocoa. “It’s time to come home, white America.”

    They have no mock-president Obama to debate. There is no other Barack Obama to be had. They have no legitimate answer for him. They’re not going to win any arguments.

    And, like always, Republicans will be pridefully unprepared to debate the facts, they’ll be on the wrong side of history and the wrong side of the majority of the American people, and lying about their sadistic record and intentions.

    So, of course it should be a really close election for some reason.

    • bphoon

      It boggled my mind that, in the wake of the first debate between Bush and Kerry, anyone in this country could consider Bush any longer a serious candidate for President. I thought, ‘Here’s confirmation that this guy is a certifiable doofus.’

      So, of course, he was re-elected. By using smear tactics, innuendo and outright lies. By making mockery a science. By hiring Ken Blackwell to rig placement of voting booths to provide maximum disadvantage to Democrats in Ohio.

      It’s entirely coincidence that I’m currently listening to Head Like A Hole by Nine Inch Nails:

      Bow down before the one you serve
      You’re going to get what you deserve…

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/YRZ6TIZ4TEWS6YC5WUVGH23JZI sherry

    I so badly wish that I had the confidence that I see in many others who are anxiously awaiting the debates like my 5 year-old waits for Santa on Christmas Eve. The same media which we progressives deplore for their “both sides do it” stance, and for their failure to ask the hard/right questions (and repeat them until we get a real answer), is the media which will control the debate(s). Team Romney will place ridiculous strictures in place, or their boy won’t show. The debate questions will NOT be the ones we progressives want to have asked. The format will be finessed in such a way that there will be no smack-downs, and Obama will not be allowed to call Mitt an outright liar.

    So, I don’t hold out for much when it comes to the debates. Besides, however well President Obama does, I fear there will be plenty of progressive voices complaining about what he SHOULD HAVE said…

    Sigh

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/YRZ6TIZ4TEWS6YC5WUVGH23JZI sherry

    trying to edit…

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Obama debating Romney is going to be like a Vulcan debating a Ferengi.

    Maybe they should hire Armin Shimerman, Max Grodénchik or Wallace Shawn to play the Mittster.