Noun, Verb, Lie

Here’s more of Romney lying about his tax reform plan ob CBS’s Face the Nation:

“One of the absolute requirements of any tax reform that I have in mind is that people who are the high end, whether you call them the 1 percent, 2 percent, half a percent, the people at the high end will still pay the same share of the tax burden they’re paying now. I’m not looking for a tax cut for the very wealthiest.”

That’s a lie. First, a reminder: Romney is in the 1 percent — of the 1 percent. Second, there’s this bit of analysis from Citizens for Tax Justice we ran a couple weeks ago:

Romney wants to lower current tax rates for everyone by 20 percent. This benefits the wealthy most: Dropping the highest bracket from 35 percent to 28 percent, for example, yields a much bigger savings for those at the top than lowering the 15 percent bracket to 12 percent brings for taxpayers in that group.

Unless Romney just yesterday revised his tax plan, he lied about it on national television.

  • DarNamell

    This is surprising how? The only shock is that we believe these cretins have any potential of caring for their fellow man.

  • JackDaniel07

    yeah, but….math

  • GrafZeppelin127

    The more I think about this election, the more I think we’re wandering into uncharted territory. It’s not just the first post-Citizens United national election with the unlimited campaign spending. No; I’m starting to think that this might be America’s first post-factual election. The first election in which everything a candidate says and does, and everything that candidate’s campaign says and does, is in itself a persistent, unending and elaborate production of improvisational theatre.

    Politicians have always been crooks and liars (with due respect to the proprietors of the blog of that name). But this is different. In the Internet age, and the age of fragmented media where there really is no such thing as the “mainstream media” anymore, lies not only propagate and go unchallenged, they literally become reality. A political candidate can literally say anything, no matter how absurd or fantastical or demonstrably false, and there is someone out there with a blog or a radio talk show who will accept it, believe it, repeat it, and propagate it until it becomes the truth. And unlike local newsletters and pamphlets handed out on street corners, these folks have an instant, nationwide audience.

    We are entering an era in which candidates for office are no longer in any way bound to the truth. To the extent that political lying has always been at least grounded in some objectively-observable reality, it is no longer. Romney and his campaign don’t even have to watch a single half-hour of news or pick up a single newspaper or log onto a single website in order to craft their narrative and make their public statements. They are literally making this up out of whole cloth, because they can.

    Future political campaigns will follow after Romney wins; the script for his 2016 re-election campaign is already being written. The script for how the economy has improved and the unemployment numbers have fallen in President Romney’s first year in office is already being written, and may already be finished and in rehearsal at Fox News.

    We are living in an improv act. And it’s never going to end.

    • Brutlyhonest

      I was reading in MoJo this weekend about the last 40 years or so of attempting to reform campaign finance laws and the very well funded effort to reach the pinnacle of corruption that citizens untied has ushered in. In addition to shaking my head at the absurdity of how much money has been – and how much more will be – funneled into this election to buy the outcome, I was left with one worrisome conclusion: It wouldn’t matter how much is spent to tell so many lies of people weren’t so gullible and lazy.

      You can’t take advantage of people who won’t let you. The right-wing propaganda machine figured out how lazy people were years ago and has been feeding them the lies they want to hear ever since.

        You’re absolutely right. We can’t overwhelm the lying noise machine with the truth and we can’t educate or motivate the lazy public.

      • bphoon

        Furthermore, by constantly lying to lazy people, telling them what they want to hear regardless of veracity, they keep them in ignorance, therefore making them even more susceptible to further lying. It’s a perpetual motion machine…

        The chutzpah of a guy like Romney recalls the memory of William Randolph Hearst (or Rupert Murdoch, more likely) and the obscene amount of money being slushed around primarily GOP political circles recalls the Gilded Age.

        The GOP has been working for 30+ years for this and are now ushering in a New Gilded Age.

      You must have read my mind, Graf. I was thinking about this not a half hour ago.

      This is what has me unable to blog, unable to do anything but watch history unfold with increasing trepidation.

      I’m scared.

      Well, that makes me want to slit my wrists. I am afraid you are right but don’t want to give up yet.

    • muselet

      So Republicans (and Righties in general) have become postmodernists.

      Oh, the irony.

      –alopecia

  • http://twitter.com/bumpty Margie James

    Thank God John Q. Public thinks the Presidential election is akin to American Idol.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Well, at least we have a vigilant media who will fact check his statements instead of just discussing the election like it was a horse race.

    What?