Real Tough Men

President Obama’s recent announcement that young immigrants will no longer be deported if they meet certain criteria is not an executive order but rather a directive from the Department of Homeland Security.

The Department of Homeland Security will issue new guidelines prioritizing immigration enforcement, which tough guy Sheriff Joe Arpaio says he plans to ignore. You know, because there are children out there who need to be arrested.

Joe Arpaio, the controversial Arizona Sheriff from Maricaopa County, arrested a 6-year-old undocumented immigrant on Friday. The move came the same day President Obama announced a new policy halting deportations for young undocumented immigrants. [...]

Immediately following the President’s announcement Arpaio told a local ABC affiliate that it would not impact his approach toward young undocumented immigrants. “They will still be arrested,” he said.

Regardless of what the Department of Homeland Security says, super tough man Joe Arpaio is going to continue doing whatever he wants. And if that includes arresting a 6-year-old girl traveling with a group of other people, then that’s what he’s going to do.

On the bright side, this will probably lead to yet another lawsuit ontop of the one he’s already facing from the Department of Justice.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Immigration and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Arizona taxpayers are getting shafted. Not only is our state faltering because of our GOP leaders’ idiotic financial management, we are paying way TOO MUCH money out to support Arpaio every time an inmate dies, his employees abuse someone, or he violates federal law without so much as blinking an eye.

    I truly despise him.

    • agrazingmoose

      I’ve said it before and I will say it again. Please move to MA. We will welcome you with open arms. We have our problems but our wingnuts are really tame. Even our talk radio has been cleaned up.

      Now, if we can just get rid of Scott Brown (Romney lite)…

        I truly wish I could. I have family in Central PA and would dearly love to be closer to them but I don’t have any control over my location right now. I am stuck in AZ until my daughter goes off to college in about 8 years. :(

  • i_a_c

    I don’t know how you arrest a 6-year-old unless you’re a complete and utter sociopath. Arpaio is one of those, and a racist one at that.

  • Lazarus Durden

    I’m not much on the law but can Joe Arpaio do this? I would appreciate someone explaining this to me in legal terms.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Wouldn’t matter. Not being legally able to do something has never stopped Sheriff Joe before.

        Exactly, the law as rational, reasonable people interpret it has absolutely no connection to what Arpaio does.

  • bphoon

    My general observation is that how overtly a “tough” guy has to demonstrate to everyone how tough he is is in inverse proportion to how tough he actually is. By that measure, Arpaio is a pussy. Certainly, by any measure, he’s a weasel.

    • Ron Morris

      The conservative response to nearly everything is similar over-compensation. “Tough on Crime” rapidly becomes “Tough on Life.” An attack response to everything is clearly insanity. This is NOT true strength, but true WEAKNESS. Who needs any more proof that conservatism is a mental illness? In a just society Arpaio would be in a supervised facility. In Arizona, he is actually given responsibilities. This is more terrifying than his stunning incompetence.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Joe’s claiming that none of the people who were picked up with this girl were her family or knew who she was. And yet none of them are being charged with kidnapping?

      DC. He may be telling the truth on that point. If the coyotes weren’t captured with the group, and they often aren’t, no one else in the group knows who she is. It is not uncommon for parents already in the US to pay coyotes to bring their underage kids later. It’s dangerous but sadly common. The kids are subject to all kinds of danger from rape to starvation, and are frequently kept for ransome so the coyotes can squeeze even more money out of the desperate parents.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Then my question remains, why aren’t they being charged with kidnapping?

          The people she was with are all victims of the coyotes, they are, in a sense kidnapping victims themselves. That would be like you going to Iraq and hiring a guide that had also been hired by a bunch of other people, unbeknownst to you, and some of those people hired him to be a guide for someone underage. So you all meet each other just as your leaving on your trip and you get halfway to your destination and the guide settles you into a house to wait for the next part of your journey except your guide never returns. You, all the other people and the kid are now stuck in a foreign country. Should you be charged with kidnapping or the guide, if they ever find him. The police here are very effective at sussing out who the coyotes are in the group, if they hung around, which they frequently don’t. They have been known to abandon the people in drop houses for days without running water or proper bathrooms. Sometimes they will take the people out in small groups to their next destination or they pass them off to the next coyote for the next leg of the journey deeper into the U.S. often, they just leave them in a house, taking all the money and leaving the immigrants to be picked up by our police.

          So, I think you are misunderstanding the facts of the situation and maybe how human smuggling operates over our borders. I don’t mean to sound condescending, so please don’t be offended. If I am misunderstanding your question please let me know.