Romney Wants Fewer Firefighters, Police and Teachers

My column today begins like so:

Thank you, Mitt Romney, for this: “[Obama] wants to hire more government workers. He says we need more fireman, more policeman, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It’s time for us to cut back on government and help the American people.”

This is easily the biggest Romney gaffe yet. Actually, I hesitate to call it a gaffe since a lot of Republicans agree with what he said and he simply blurted it out in public. Not only did Romney say something universally positive about the president (framed as something negative), but he also illustrated one of the most glaringly obvious conservative contradictions regarding government programs.

There are several layers to this, so let’s begin with what most conservatives secretly believe…

Please continue reading here…

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mzmijewski

    We should do away with all policeman, fireman, SEC regulators, bank regulators, congressman and the office of the president – once Romney is elected.

    It’s not a gaffe, it’s a feature.

  • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

    It wasn’t a gaffe. He meant it, even if he doesn’t believe it.

    • D_C_Wilson

      He stands by what he said, whatever it was.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Remember when police and firemen were the undisputed heroes of 9/11?

    I guess the police, firemen, and teachers shouldn’t have crashed the economy in 2008. Oh wait, that wasn’t them. That was the Wall Street investors. You know, people like Romney.