Ron Paul Is Against Social Security Even While He’s For It

I don’t care who you are. This is funny.

STEIN: A bit of a personal question then, are you on Social Security? Do you get Social Security checks?

PAUL: I do.

STEIN: Well, I mean, is there — you just told younger generations that they should ween themselves off this social contract.

PAUL: That is true.

STEIN: But you haven’t done it yourself…Don’t you think you chould have set a good example for the future generations. You’re not the wealthiest man in congress, I know that, but you have enough means to take care of yourself in retirement…Couldn’t you have set an example?

PAUL: No. I think the programs are so designed, just as I use the post office too, I use government highways, I do that too, I use the banks, the federal reserve system, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t work to remove this in the same way on Social Security.

Ron Paul admits he uses the post office, the federal highway system, and -gasp- social security! But he also thinks we should end them?

Paul appears to be implying that the system is rigged so that you must participate.

And the alternative is what? Liberty? In this instance, liberty could be interpreted as a euphemism for anarchy. There are no industrialized nations on the planet that do not have some form of symbiotic relationship between citizens and government. One cannot exist without the other.

The fact that there are no examples of a successful, lasting libertarian nation in the world won’t deter Paul’s fanatical disciples, however.

  • i_a_c

    I’ve always thought that Ron Paul’s concept of “liberty” was actually “freedom” for rich, white men to take advantage of everyone else in any way they see fit.

  • Draxiar

    The more I hear Ron Paul pontificate about the merits of his philosophy (and the phenominal hypocrisy of it) the more I’m conviced he thinks we should just be 50 countries and be done with it…

    …or…

    …A completely “free market” society ruled by Lord Humungous.

  • trgahan

    How scandalous! A libertarian who doesn’t actually practice what they constantly lecture us about? Never heard of that happening before.

  • MrDHalen

    Most, not all, but most Libertarian arguments can be ended quickly by saying “We tried it that way and it failed.”

    I’m guessing 90% of our government entities are needed because before they were created, American citizens were swindled, suffered, maimed, died or killed because of their absence.

    I still believe at the heart of Libertarianism is the desire to be able to profit while fucking over other people who don’t know you’re fucking them over.

    • muselet

      I’ve proven many times that I’m not above quoting myself:

      “If the average libertarian found himself in his ideal no-tax, no-regulation, no-government, no-society society, he’d be killed and eaten within three days.”

      –alopecia

      • MrDHalen

        That’s a million dollar idea, create a virtual world online like World of Warcraft based purely on modern Libertarian ideas. Let them login and see how long they live in that world. Oh, and no extra lives!!!

    • Brutlyhonest

      Here’s my slightly shorter version: I still believe at the heart of Libertarianism is greed and selfishness.

  • bphoon

    Stunning hypocrisy…and completely unsurprising. It never fails: when it comes time for one of these know-nothing blowhards to put their so-called principles into action, they just can’t seem to go there.

    Assholes–all of ‘em.

  • joseph2004

    I’ve given up thinking these things are rational. Virtually nobody gives up government “help” or the benefits of government obligations despite their expressed beliefs on the subject. It’s like all these millionaires and billionaires claiming they should be taxed more, but of course they aren’t going to volunteer to hand over what they claim they should be taxed – not until the law forces them to.