The Most Disturbing Election Poll Result So Far

Via Greg Sargent, this should scare the piss out of every Democrat.

I’d like you to compare your financial situation to what it was four years ago, during the last presidential election when George W. Bush was still president. Would you say that you are financially better off now than you were four years ago, or are you financially worse off?

Better off: 47

Worse off: 41

Only a six point margin from the crappy Bush years when we suffered from two different recessions, one of them being the deepest since the Great Depression. This is phenomenally bad news if it bears out in other “are you better off?” polls. Though I’d like to remind everyone of something I wrote this week. To repeat:

GDP is growing steadily. Jobs are being added every month. Unemployment is slowly declining (with a few blips along the trendline). The deficit is shrinking. Middle and working class taxes are lower. Inflation is nearly an entire percentage point below the average that began in the middle 1920s (long term average is 3.43%, while our current rate is 2.3% and dropping). The price of oil dropped below $90 last week and stockpiles are huge — the highest level in 22 years. New home sales are up by 10 percent over a year ago. Moody’s Analytics is calling this a “genuine rebound” in housing and mortgage rates remain tantalizingly low. Consumer debt is declining and corporate profits — despite the president’s false reputation as a profit-hating commie — are nearly double what they were in the boom times of 1999. 9.75 percent at the end of 2011, compared with 5.7 percent in the final quarter of 1999. The Dow has doubled since the deepest, darkest days of the Great Recession and some analysts suggest that the DJIA should be around 20,000, not 13,000, given all of these positive indicators.

Are the American people better off? They should be. And if they’re not, they ought to look at the party they elected to run Congress in 2010 — the party that’s filibustered or blocked every job creation measure. Every single one.

  • chris castle

    I am worse off because I am a state employee in Ohio; but I blame my governor and legislature for the roughly eight thousand dollar drop in (my) salary over the past couple of years. I’m smart enough to know that the POTUS can’t do anything about stabilizing the wages of state employees.

  • Draxiar

    Dems *really* need to shoot the fireworks of what Bob has listed here…and more…many more of the positive things that have been accomplished (all of which Bob has listed at one point or another repeatedly…thanks again Bob!). Please, Dems, pound the message into the heads of people and hopefully they’ll understand. don’t tap them on the shoulder…hit them with some metaphorical sledgehammer! Put it on bumper stickers if need be …it works for the other guys. It’s not a bad thing to pat yourself on the back when you’re a poltician because the other side sure as shit won’t do it.

    I’d love to see or hear a commercial flaunting the benefits of ACA while debunking the myths the right have spun into a tight well swallowed nugget.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I was thinking of something today.

    When I tell people that I think President Obama has done quite a good job as President, the reaction is usually along the lines of, “How can you say that??!!?! How can you say that when the debt is X, unemployment is Y, gas prices are Z,” yada yada yada, talking points ad nauseam.

    But when I ask most people, “Do you think Terry Collins has done a good job as Mets manager?” practically everyone says yes, often emphatically. Even Yankee fans. And I agree, wholeheartedly; Collins has done a very good job.

    Collins has a losing record overall as Mets manager; he’s lost 111 games. He was in 4th place last year and is in 3rd place this year. His club has the worst bullpen ERA in the majors, the second-worst defense in the National League with 47 errors over 56 games, and has allowed 263 runs, 8 more than they’ve scored. His first baseman and projected cleanup hitter is batting .161 with 57 strikeouts in 180 at-bats. His team had a chance to take over first place on Tuesday night, and they lost, blowing three late-inning leads including two in extra innings. His best player from last year left the team and signed with someone else. He has not made the playoffs, and certainly has not won a World Series.

    Still think Collins has done a good job?

    If you didn’t know baseball, didn’t watch the Mets, didn’t understand everything that has gone on with and around this ballclub in recent years, and all you did was look at those facts — all of which are entirely true — you’d say, “Sure, Collins has done a lousy job. Fire him.” But even those facts, damning as they appear, and comprehensive as they appear, are not enough to judge his job performance. You’d have to want to believe, and be actively trying to believe, that Collins is a lousy manager who’s done a lousy job if you were to make, or accept, an argument like that.

    • mrbrink

      There’s a real good Moneyball- like way about all that, Graf’. Really good stuff. I appreciate that. It’s resonating. I remember when Dusty Baker was manager of the Cubs– we got within 5 outs of the World Series his first year in 2003, which is the closest the team has been since, three other managers later. He was let go after four years, but the fans were showing their impatience long before that– and their racism. For Dusty Baker, it must have started when Cub fans, and much of the local media, started to slowly ridicule him for the way he chewed his trademark toothpick, or wore his jacket over his uniform, or the way he’d strut to the mound to make a pitching change, or his overall appearance of being confident, as though he was too stupid to chew a toothpick and concentrate on winning, or just too uppity for being the manager of an historically losing team, so they’d send him hateful and racist emails. See how that works?

      The president is being graded on the shiftless and lazy curve.

      Adding, we should be throwing a surprise ticker tape parade for this president like he won the world series.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        As perfection is unattainable, those who wish to see failure will always see failure. It is easy, albeit wrong, to equate success with perfection.

  • xenothaulus

    There are no ratings in reporting good news. Without ratings, there are no advertising dollars.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_4LTPCUUNJGNBNATBBFKTVZHVZQ Ltanya Spearman

    All dems. need to push back hard msm to tell the truth about how the repubs. is stopping progress of this economy… Also, stop repeating repubs. lies and tell the people the truth….

    R-money and his spokes-people been able to repeat his lies without any push back from the media….

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Hillary-Darton/100003271090471 Hillary Darton

    If someone start talking to me about blaming President Obama for their woes, I ask them to please name one thing that the Republicans have done to try to make your life better? Show me the jobs bills they have passed. Speaker Boehner, Mitch McConnell want the economy to be bad because they think people will be stupid enough to give them the controls. But in case these people haven’t pay any attention since 2010 the Republicans had control of the House and what have they done? Their plan has been from day one was to see to it that the economy fail, and blame Obama. Boehner promised that if the Republicans got control of the House in 2010, he would focus on jobs, jobs, jobs. Have John Boehner kept his word? Imagine how much stronger this economy would be if the Republicans had work with this President, instead of against him. Sabotaging the economy, in the Senate Mitch McConnell has lead a record number filibusters. Re-elect President Obama and put a Congress in office who will work with this President, who will put the welfare of the country first.

  • Danny Collins

    This lunacy has to stop. Take today’s presser. While the GOP is picking over every word for something to seize on for their political advantage, with its “lap dogs” in the media at the ready to amplify its mssage, the Left was picking over his words for further proof that he’s not a real progressive.

    • Draxiar

      Danny, you bring up a point that boils my blood every single time I read or hear of it: Progressive Cannibalism.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    4 years ago, I had been unemployed for a year, now I have a job (admittedly in an unstable profession), but I am making more money than I ever have in my life.

    Bush’s FCC killed my previous job though.

  • MorganleFay

    Why I see this as understandable;

    The economy really crashed at the end of the Bush term.

    From the Christian Science Monitor, March, 2003;
    43% said that ‘ALL or MOST of the 9/11 hijackers were Iraqi.’

    Most job loss started in Feb 2008, AND people have very short memories, AND the repetition has been relentless.

  • KXA

    This makes perfect sense to me.

    From day 1, the Republicans have been doing everything to “Make Obama a one term President”. The President has put an unbelievable effort into working with the Republicans and has compromised again and aging. As the savant fromTulsa, Bartcop, reminds us constantly, the Democrats can win every argument if they would just list the facts. But for some unimaginable reason they will not do that. Why didnt he refer to the Bush recession constantly, why doesnt every Democrat lust the facts of this article EVERY time a cameramis inteir face!
    Pres. Obama seems stuck in trying to get The Bitch, the Boner and all the Republicans to like him?

    Finally, since there is an election coming the President is getting tough. Alas, the frame has been set and it will only be harder to switch now.

    Again bartcop makes it plain:
    When victory is knocking for the Democrats maybe they will answer.

    Any ideas on why the Democrats refuse to play had ball or even just to list the facts???

  • Brutlyhonest

    I enjoy bashing the dems for poor messaging as much as the next guy, but the deck is so stacked it’s disheartening. The big three nightly “news” (dick quotes indeed) broadcasts refuse to ever broadcast just facts about what the President/Dems do/does. Any time they mention something positive, they have to have the rwnj rebuttal. Facts be damned, they will not be called liberal! Of course, they are still called liberal any way.

    The true victory for the murdoch/ailes propaganda machine was neutering real news, not reinforcing the beliefs of the faithful.

    • MrDHalen

      This!!!

      It is starting to dishearten me to hear progressives complain about the Dems messaging and how the Repubs are better at it and we need to get better…

      NO!!! The Repubs win on messaging because its all lies. You can place lies on bumper stickers and it’s easy to sell. Truth can’t beat lies when people are to lazy to sit through the truth.

      It’s not our messaging, it’s people!!! We need a campaign to shame Americans out of their apathy towards their own democracy before they wake up and its gone!!!

  • http://www.facebook.com/samella.williams Samella Williams

    Why isn’t the pathetic msm covering this? Of course we know the answer.

    I wonder of that good bastion of progressiveness, The Huffington Post is covering this? Don’t know since I stopped reading that blog when they became a sewer for right-wing nutjobs.

    We need to post this info on as many sites as we can.

    “REPUBLICAN TRAITORS Have Been Planning to Crash the Economy Since January of 2009

    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/08/1098434/-Eric-Cantor-Paul-Ryan-Kevin-McCarthy-Plot-To-Sabotage-US-Economy-with-Frank-Luntz

    On January 20, 2009 Republican Leaders in Congress literally plotted to sabotage and undermine U.S. Economy during President Obama’s Inauguration.

    In Robert Draper’s book, “Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the U.S. House of Representatives” Draper wrote that during a four hour, “invitation only” meeting with GOP Hate-Propaganda Minister, Frank Luntz, the below listed Senior GOP Law Writers literally plotted to sabotage, undermine and destroy America’s Economy.

    The Guest List:
    Frank Luntz – GOP Minister of Propaganda
    Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI)
    Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA)
    Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA),
    Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX),
    Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX),
    Rep. Pete Hoekstra (R-MI)
    Rep. Dan Lungren (R-CA),
    Sen. Jim DeMint (SC-R),
    Sen. Jon Kyl (AZ-R),
    Sen. Tom Coburn (OK-R),
    Sen. John Ensign (NV-R) and
    Sen. Bob Corker (TN-R).
    Non-lawmakers present Newt Gingrich”

  • mhr52

    Im sorry but Im not better off. Every time I go to the airport now I have a choice between being seen naked or being groped. I cant protest near anyone receiving secret service protection. The military could declare me a terrorist and just throw me in jail forever, or just shoot a missile at my house and who cares if my innocent son is killed too. Peaceful marijuana smokers minding their own business have been suppressed and their suppliers raided (I dont smoke marijuana, but if people are into that, who cares). Thousands have been butchered overseas in over a half dozen new conflicts started by the “president”. The economy really hasnt improved at all because they have been massaging statistics. Unemployment is only down because they kicked people out of the calculations. In reality its probably up or stationary. The prices of everything in the supermarket are going up despite this bullcrap about 2% inflation (its 10% in reality, but you can blame Reagan or Carter for that, not Obama). Debt has been growing and growing. The deficit is not going down at all. I want my children and grandchildren to have a future and not be burdened by your wars and your programs.