Video of the Day

Representative Ed Markey today on the coming demise of the coal industry.

Magnificent.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • agrazingmoose

    I love Markey. He doesn’t give up.

  • gwichinbebe

    Markey is the bomb! Great speaker and on the correct side of the issues. We could use 200 more Markeys.

  • gwichinbebe

    OH! I forgot to say you CAN NOT go wrong with any vid Cesca posts.

  • joseph2004

    I’d love to see coal plants disappear as much as anybody, but when I viewed this video, I couldn’t help but think that Markey was leaving out a few details when he talked about all the money he and the democrats offered the coal industry to innovate. One was that there were likely conditions placed upon the industry in order to get that money. If the coal industry said “NO, NO, NO,” it wasn’t just because it’s being run by a bunch of old fuddyduddies. Something else was going on; they were probably saying “NO” to the conditions…

    Back when the 2009 stimulus was being implemented, remember that a number of governors rejected some of the funds allocated for their states. The usual suspects accused them of hating their states and/or constituents blah blah blah. But the reason they were balking at the funds was that the federal government had put conditions on receiving those funds that the governors felt were not in the best interests of their states, particularly those conditions that usurped existing states’ laws.

    TGIF

    • agrazingmoose

      The conditions were clear and Markey talked about them in this video. Clean the emissions from coal plants.

      Markey’s point is that using the clean technology would have saved a portion of the coal industry, but now utility execs are going for the cheaper alternative.

      This is not a new trend, even though the MSM has just picked up on it. Coal has been on the decline for nearly a decade. It is just too expensive to mine and burn given the alternatives.

    • muselet

      “Supposing is good, but finding out is better.” –Mark Twain

      I did literally 15 minutes of online research on the American Clean Energy and Security Act (Waxman-Markey) and discovered that the petroleum industry was particularly incensed by the bill because it implemented a cap-and-trade system. Amid much screeching about “cap-and-tax”—and “the green mafia” and the “elite media” wanting to stop energy production, whatever that was supposed to mean—the claim was that doing anything about clean energy and cutting greenhouse gas emissions was too expensive.

      As for coal, carbon capture and sequestration (CCS) was the centerpiece of the bill with regards to coal-fired power plants. New coal plants could be built and operated after 2009, and would be expected to use CSS CCS technology when it became comercially-available. There were timetables and lots of conditions to be met, but the bottom line was that coal-fired plants would be required to capture an increasing amount of their carbon dioxide emissions over the course of roughly 15 years. The money Rep. Markey referred to would have been spent to finance the development of CSS CCS technologies and to retrofit plants built after 2009; no plants built prior to 2009 would have been required to be retrofitted.

      In short, the coal industry didn’t throw a wobbly because of onerous conditions on getting money; it threw a wobbly because it didn’t like the very idea of being required to clean up its act.

      Nice try, though.

      To show I’m not cheating or misrepresenting anything, I’ll even show my work:
      http://grist.org/article/2009-06-03-waxman-markey-bill-breakdown/
      http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Waxman-Markey_Climate_Bill
      http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr2454

      –alopecia

      EDITED because, well, it needed to be edited. Always read before clicking Post.

    LOL… “Adam Smith is spinning so fast in his grave (because of Republican lies) that he would qualify as a ‘new energy source’.”[paraphrase]

  • muselet

    Magnificent indeed. Ed Markey was polite and quiet throughout his presentation, with no histrionics, no name-calling and only a minimal amount of overt ridicule, and always factual. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the proper way to lay waste to an opponent’s arguments.

    –alopecia