You're Not Helping

What the hell is wrong with President Clinton? He’ll be appearing in the latest Mitt Romney commercial next to Cory Booker in 5… 4… 3…

Says Romney has a “sterling business career” and that being governor and working in the private sector crosses “the qualification threshold” to be president. Clinton says the election will not be about Bain Capital, but about the policies Romney’s advocating for the country.

No, no, no! Goddammit, Mr. President.

    Ugh, here we go again. Can somebody please remind President Clinton, and President Romney, that we are not living on Ferenginar? That the latter is running for President, not Grand Nagus?

    I keep waiting for someone in the Romney camp to say that President Obama doesn’t have the lobes for business. Why don’t we just replace the Constitution with the Rules of Acquisition and get it over with?

    To quote another Grand Nagus, “You failed … miserably!!!!

    Given how much Clinton was involved in enabling this destructive brand of capitalism, I can’t say I’m surprised.

  • http://twitter.com/Satur9 SaturNine

    What the actual everloving fuck?

  • droneseerywhere

    Barack Obama Acceptance Speech – DNC – 28 August 2008 (http://uspolitics.about.com/od/speeches/a/obama_accept_5.htm):

    “For 18 long months, you have stood up, one by one, and said, “Enough,” to the politics of the past. You understand that, in this election, the greatest risk we can take is to try the same, old politics with the same, old players and expect a different result. You have shown what history teaches us, that at defining moments like this one, the change we need doesn’t come from Washington. Change comes to Washington.”

    First Cory Booker, now Bubba Clinton, oh wait there’s also Rahm, Geithner, Summers, Daley, Lew, just to name a few. Holy shit what’s going on here?

    And you’re surprised why?

    The stupid it burns.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      So says the expert of the personal burning stupid experience.

      • Miranda

        LMAO

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Hey Bob, ‘member Clinton getting interrupted at Netroots ’09? That sound you hear is me, objecting like that right now.

  • missliberties

    Jebus people! Listen to the WHOLE thing.

    “The — there is a lot of controversy about that. But if you go in and you try to save a failing company, and you and I have friends here who invest in companies, you can invest in a company, run up the debt, loot it, sell all the assets, and force all the people to lose their retirement and fire them.
    That’s the most relevant thing. There’s no question that in terms of getting up and going to the office and, you know, basically performing the essential functions of the office, the man who has been governor and had a sterling business career crosses the qualification threshold. But they have dramatically different proposals. And it’s my opinion, anyway, that the Obama proposals and the Obama record will be far better for the American economy and most Americans than those that Governor Romney has laid out. And that’s what the election ought to be about.”

    The NYC centric media is so into ‘the markets’ etc. that they are driving this stupid meme. Listen to all over Bill said. He did not say what you think he said.

    How easily Democrats are duped. Throw up you hands and give up or read the whole transcript.

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_TLHIXVS2CHDJNWYPZJIZ5NNZ3A Robert

      Thank you for that moment of clarity.

      Can you talk some sense into the people freking about the jobs numbers too? I will only join them in a couple months if it looks worse.

      • ninjaf

        On the jobs numbers, I heard a parsing of the numbers and they look so dismal because of all of the “not real job” public sector positions that are being eliminated (teachers, firefighters, police officers, bureaucrats) due to budget cuts.

        Why can’t/won’t the case be made that a.) the stimulus worked and b.) as the spending winds down, this proves we need more of it?

    • gescove

      I read the transcript of the remarks too and wondered why everyone’s hair was on fire. Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter in a brave new media 24×7 world of 140-character shiny objects. Clinton is smart enough to know this, so shame on him for obscuring his critique. Thanks to our insipid media, instead of “Clinton rips Romney’s Bain vulture-capital tenure and even worse performance as governor”, we get “Bubba Hearts Him Some Romney”. Jesus.

      • missliberties

        It’s depressing.

        Don’t hate me, but I get up early and often watch parts of Morning Joe. The narrative has been equally sad. Defending Bain, etc. Yet these are the very folks that closed our companies and shipped our jobs overseas.

        Clinton was/is very big into the Wal-Mart rebirth that globalized our economy, cost us jobs, and brought us into the world of cheap crap from China.

        Democrats you must remember have been big in the venture capital business for a long long time. It is how many of them have made their fortunes. Obama has definitely upset the apple cart by questioning whether they create jobs or just wealth.

    • D_C_Wilson

      The problem is, context is meaningless. Fox and the republican re-election committee (but I repeat myself) have no qualms about chopping up the statements to make them say whatever they want them to say.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Oscar-Jimison/100001431764474 Oscar Jimison

    It’s time for Dems to accept that guys like Clinton, Rendell, Carville, etc are PUMA’s that are resentful the President for beating Hillary. Does anyone think that Clinton isn’t savvy enough to know what he did here?

    • droneseerywhere

      Talk about conspiracy theories. Occam would suggest that it’s the money stupid and not the blackness. Clinton does know what he’s saying, let me translate for you: “I like getting millions from PE’s and hedgies. Pay no attention to the faux populist message from Barry. It’s election season: what are you gonna do? Oh yeah, Hillary is down with this too.”