Another Reason Why Voter ID Sucks

It’s the New Jim Crow law, and the Republicans are responsible for it. But then there’s this in Mississippi:

State officials are running into problems with the new voter-identification law even before the federal government has approved or rejected it. Voters without a photo ID are facing a circular problem: They need a certified birth certificate to get the voter ID, and they need a photo ID to get the birth certificate.

Republicans hate bureaucracy and red tape and government inefficiency — unless it keeps people (especially black people) from voting.

Fortunately, the feds still have a say in all of these Voter ID laws due to the Voting Rights Act, so we’ll see how this nonsense works out.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    Not all of the voter ID laws need to be precleared, just the ones in a handful of states with a particularly bad history.

    So the law in PA for example can stand on its own.

  • mattpd

    this is a stall tactic… nationwide, the laws only need to be in effect until november. they won’t care if the law is rescinded afterwards.

  • Staci Bass

    Voters without a photo ID are facing a circular problem: They need a certified birth certificate to get the voter ID, and they need a photo ID to get the birth certificate.

    I said this on another blog yesterday and was called a liar. I know for a fact it’s true because it happened to me. I was saved because I found an old ID from when I lived in Nevada and those don’t expire so Illinois accepted it. Until I found that ID though, my frustration was really climbing with the whole Catch-22 that happens to folks who have lost their identification. I can easily see people giving up trying to acquire something they may not feel is necessary to their lives when it can be this difficult to get it.

  • mrbrink

    A lot of cities have what they call food deserts– in America– so I just hope that after the arduous journey that those i.d.’s Republicans are selling to the poor are edible.

    Maybe sing some songs along the way. Like, “The Camp Town Lady?”

    I would start collecting names for a lawsuit against the states that run this kind of shell game, petitioning for nullification of election results due to citizens being denied their right to vote. Fuck those guys.