Believin’ in America

Artist – RJ Matson

In other news, President Obama directed HHS to begin offering federal health insurance plans to seasonal fire fighters today.

Also — Governor Nikki Haley vetoed funds for sexual assault and domestic violence prevention today. Why? Just because.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Open Thread and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

    Not surprisingly, Romney’s “I’m rubber and you’re glue” strategy continues today as he labels Obama the “outsourcer in chief”.

  • Brutlyhonest

    In case you’ve tired of the OFA begging emails (If I had the money I’d give it without the constant emails), here’s a tidbit from one today:

    Reporters talked to a few people waiting to get into the Mitt Romney fundraiser at the Koch estate in the Hamptons over the weekend.

    Here’s what one of them had to say:

    “A New York City donor a few cars back, who also would not give her name, said Romney needed to do a better job connecting. ‘I don’t think the common person is getting it,’ she said from the passenger seat of a Range Rover stamped with East Hampton beach permits. …

    ‘We’ve got the message,’ she added. ‘But my college kid, the baby sitters, the nails ladies — everybody who’s got the right to vote — they don’t understand what’s going on. I just think if you’re lower income — one, you’re not as educated, two, they don’t understand how it works, they don’t understand how the systems work, they don’t understand the impact.”‘

    Whenever you hear about Romney’s fundraising advantage, I want you to remember this quote — because this is the kind of person making huge contributions to give him that advantage. If you do nothing, that’s who gets to win.

    • bphoon

      It’s the “Since they don’t see things the way we do, they just don’t get it. We know cuz we’re so much more educated and smarter and stuff” rationale.

    • Draxiar

      Translation: “Because they weren’t born to fiscal privelage, they’re dumb.”

      This is so friggin’ off-the-charts comically ignorant thinking it’s almost not worth paying attention to…except that you’re right, these are the people making contributions to Romney and whom Romney will service (one way or another) later at our expense.

  • muselet

    Haley explained these vetoes in the Department of Health and Environmental Control budget by writing, “Each of these lines attempts to serve a portion of our population for which we extend our sympathy and encouragement, but nevertheless, it is only a small portion of South Carolina’s chronically ill or abused. Overall, these special add-on lines distract from the agency’s broader mission of protecting South Carolina’s public health.”

    So according to Nikki Haley, victims of sexual assault are just another special-interest group.

    No wonder she’s a rising star in the Republican Party.

      Put her into the “gender traitor” category with Coulter. Every day it is more bad news like this. I can only donate a couple of dollars at a time and the opposition’s supporters can donate tens of thousands more on any given day. And in the end it is the children, the women and the poor who will suffer. I am more than a little discouraged.

      • muselet

        I’m the wrong sex to have an opinion on the “gender traitor” question.

        However, Nikki Haley’s vetoes go far, far beyond the rape and sexual assault prevention programs, including cuts to funding for teacher salaries, the Bleeding Disorders Premium Assistance Program, the Office of Rural Health Benefit Bank, the James R. Clark Memorial Sickle Cell Foundation, the Commission on Indigent Defense, City of Charleston African-American Historic Sites Preservation (which she charmingly described as “pork projects”), and the South Carolina Arts Commission and arts grants.

        Haley seems determined to make South Carolina a miserable place for just about everyone. Again I say, no wonder she’s a Republican rising star.

        –alopecia

        • ninjaf

          This reminds me, we were planning our first trip to Charleston this year at Christmas time. I can not, in good conscience, spend money in a state that will do this to women. I guess we will have to re-examine our plans.

          Can anybody give me justification to spend our money there?

    • MrDHalen

      If there is no hell, we need one.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        Unfortunatly, the right seems to go out of its way to create one for the 99% to live in.

      • Brutlyhonest

        I’m with you, sir. I don’t believe there is one, but sometimes I hope I’m wrong. Why? Because if there is a hell, there has to be a special one for these asshats.