Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran

The Romney campaign unilaterally endorsed a preemptive attack on Iran yesterday during the first day of Mitt Romney’s trip to Israel. But that’s not at all.

Senior adivser Dan Senor also lowered the bar for what a Romney administration would consider to be justification for a preemptive strike.

“If Israel has to take action on its own, in order to stop Iran from developing that capability, the governor would respect that decision,” Mr. Senor said.

Previewing Mr. Romney’s remarks, Mr. Senor explained: “It is not enough just to stop Iran from developing a nuclear program. The capability, even if that capability is short of weaponization, is a pathway to weaponization, and the capability gives Iran the power it needs to wreak havoc in the region and around the world.”

“The capability, even if that capability is short of weaponization.”

Meaning a Romney administration would consider even a nuclear energy program to be justification for a preemptive attack. Ignoring the fact that Iran’s civilian nuclear program is monitored by the International Atomic Energy Agency. Because it’s a “pathway to weaponization.”

There should be no doubt that the foreign policy of a Romney administration would strongly resemble and possibly even surpass the awfulness of the Bush administration.

Romney won’t even release his tax returns. Does anyone really believe his administration wouldn’t set a new precedent for secrecy and subterfuge? And Romney’s spokespersons would say “it was legal” with all due contempt.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Foreign Policy and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Is Iran carrying Skittles and a bottle of Iced Tea?

    I’m not saying we shouldn’t keep our eye on Iran but geez…another preemptive strike on a country that may not be doing anything? Isn’t it a little too soon in a couple of ways?

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I have no doubt that Grand Nagus Mitt will outsource his foreign policy to Messrs. Kristol, Bolton, Wolfowitz, et al. The Nagus clearly has no interest in international affairs, to say nothing of a nuanced understanding thereof; all he seems to know is what the far-right neocon message machine has programmed him to believe and say. The Nagus is only interested in profit; diplomacy, war and peace, etc. are just a means to that end.

    There’s also little question that the Nagus, if elected, will immediately become Netanyahu’s bitch. Whether being Netanyahu’s bitch (or Likud’s bitch, or AIPAC’s bitch) means a pre-emptive war with Iran, remains to be seen. But I think it’s fairly certain that the world will become a lot more dangerous the moment the Nagus is sworn in.

    • Ned F

      Exactly. I seriously doubt Mr. Be All You Want Me To Be Etch a Sketcher Panderbot, has any foreign policy ideas of his own. That same rowdy crowd of neocons is back again.

    • muselet

      These may not come from the most authoritative list—there are lots out there—but here are a few Rules of Acquisition that Mitt Romney seems to have internalized:

      Rule of Acquisition #15: Acting stupid is often smart.
      Rule of Acquisition #34: War is good for business.
      Rule of Acquisition #68: Compassion is no substitute for a profit.
      Rule of Acquisition #125: A lie isn’t a lie until someone else knows the truth.
      Rule of Acquisition #174: Share and perish.

      And one he doesn’t seem to have learned:

      Rule of Acquisition #92: Never confuse wisdom with luck.

        I’m waiting for someone to do a mashup of Romney quotes with Ferengi quotes from Deep Space Nine.

        • muselet

          That could be amazing. And here I was hoping someone would ‘shop Ferengi ears and teeth on Romney …

            Gingrich would have been easier.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        A few more:

        Rule of Acquisition #25. Fear makes a good business partner.
        Rule of Acquisition #41. Money talks, but having a lots of it gets more attention.
        Rule of Acquisition #51. Never admit a mistake if there’s someone else to blame.
        Rule of Acquisition #69. You could afford your ship without your government – if it weren’t for your government.
        Rule of Acquisition #79. Beware of the Vulcan greed for knowledge.
        Rule of Acquisition #90. Mine is better than ours.
        Rule of Acquisition #141. Competition and fair play are mutually exclusive. Fair play and financial loss go hand-in-hand.
        Rule of Acquisition #156. Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.
        Rule of Acquisition #181. Even dishonesty can’t tarnish the glow of Latinum.
        Rule of Acquisition #198. Employees are the rungs on your ladder to success – don’t hesitate to step on them.

        And here’s one that he, and his entire party, really need to learn:

        Rule of Acquisition #173. A piece of Latinum in the hand is worth two in a customer’s pocket.

        • muselet

          :^)

      More substantively:

      A lot of Mitt Romney’s foreign-policy advisors are keen to go to war with Iran (and maybe Syria, and to get back into Iraq—for starters), so I’d say February 2013 at the latest for a President Romney to order bombing runs on Tehran.

      –alopecia

  • http://www.bant-shirts.com BanTshirts

    And if they turned out to be wrong afterwards? “Ah, well, based on the intelligence we had at the time, blah, blah,blah”.

  • Lazarus Durden

    Lets set aside the fact that Iran is a sovereign nation. Lets side aside the fact they have a large population and that a war on that nation would result in tens of thousands of deaths, maybe climb into the hundreds of thousands. Lets set aside the fact that our military is exhausted, and over stretched and has been for several years now. Lets set aside the fact bombing Iran has that added bonus of “We don’t know what this will do” when it comes to the entire stability of a region that’s been through Arab Spring. Lets set aside the fact that it would completely nullify all the credit we’ve built back up during the Obama Administration. And forget the moral implications of Just War Theory. Setting all that aside then sure we can bomb Iran, but unfortunately none of that can be set aside.

    I really hate GOP foreign policy. It’s like they’re playing a board game and their actions have no real world consequences other then moving plastic pieces on a cardboard.

      You are right in your observations, Laz. Especially the part about how the neocons don’t understand–or care–what the implications of real war are. That’s because they don’t send their kids to fight the wars they start. They send poor kids and volunteers. If they start another war, I hope Liz Cheney and Willard’s boys get a chance to be right up on the front line. I think it would be great if Fox News was there to see one of them getting their head blown clean off. That would be consequences they might understand. But I doubt it…

      • Draxiar

        It’s also not their homes getting destroyed, their citizens getting smithereened, their cities getting pulverized, and their country cratered.

        When it’s your country that been the chess board for a war you have a diffeerent outlook. We’ve not seen an extensive military war on US soil in a very long time. 9/11 would seem like an appetizer to the meal methinks.

      • stacib23

        If they start another war, I hope Liz Cheney and Willard’s boys get a chance to be right up on the front line.

        My thoughts exactly except I’m thinking Mitt should have to send four of the five sons and any grandchildren over 18 years of age. I’ve always maintained that the person swinging the bat and the person getting hit always have two very different versions of the same story. If one of Mitt’s houses were at risk of being bombed because of somebody’s ideology, maybe he would think a little differently about war.

  • Zen Diesel

    Considering Iran happens to have three friends with a military “China, North Korea, and the Soviets “as Romney puts it”, why in the hell is itching to go to war with Iran. It’s in everybody best interest that cooler heads would prevail. The last thing this country need is another chickenhawk president with daddy issues.

    • agrazingmoose

      I was just thinking the same thing.

  • KAboink

    I could be wrong, but I think this hurts Willard with independent voters and military families.
    The US is war weary and after being fooled by lies to start the Iraq war won’t be fooled so easilly again so soon.
    This may help get more money from Sheldon Addelson, but the President leads Rmoney with Jewish voters by something like 68% to 32%, so Mitt’s Israel antics will have little effect on that advantage.
    Actually I’m glad he’s out of the country making a fool of himself for all to see.

  • GeneralLerong

    “Which tax years have you filed?”
    “Um…..all of ‘em, Katie.”

  • 1933john