Let's Play 'Who Said The What Now???'

Take a wild guess who said this rather sensible thing:

[Redacted] said Democrats are “being foolish” by not proposing sensible gun regulations. “People have a right to handguns and hunting rifles,” [redacted] said, “I don’t think they have a right to semi-automatic, quazi-machine guns that can shoot hundred bullets at a time. And I actually think the Democrats are being foolish as they are being cowardly. I think there is support for some moderate forms of gun control if they separate clearly from a desire to take away everyone’s handguns or hunting rifles. …President Obama on this one is just unwilling to take a strong stance.”

Give up?

Bill Kristol on Fox News Sunday. And that does it for this episode of ‘Who Said The What Now???’

Yeah. I agree with Bill Kristol.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • freakishlystrong

    And Republics get let off the hook? Sorry Billy, why don’t Republicans propose any sensible legislation? Why don’t they ever propose anything other than restricting women’s reproductive rights and repealing “Obamacare”? Talk about foolish and cowardly. Sheesh!

  • Mike Huben

    Oh Lawdy, please don’t thow me into that briar patch!

    • gescove

      Beat me to it. Kristol is not being serious… he is baiting the Dems to take on a no-win issue ahead of the election. It took more than a decade after the an assassination attempt against St. Reagan to get the Brady Bill enacted.

  • eljefejeff

    I agree with him obviously, but it’s republicans who oppose ANY gun control which is why nothing gets passed.

  • Ipecac

    It’s so reasonable (other than not calling on Republicans to do the same) that I think it’s probably a trap. He wants Obama to propose new gun laws so that the right wing can have their “UN wants to take our guns” conspiracy confirmed.

    I also find it troubling because Bill Kristol is NEVER right about anything. So this makes me think that gun control is actually a bad idea. Or, maybe Kristol has finally faced the fact that he’s never right and so is deliberately proposing liberal positions in order to jinx them.

    • agrazingmoose

      I too think that it is a trap. He wants the Democrats to start a kurfuffle about gun control right before the election so they can piss off a whole lot of people and ultimately lose the issue anyway.

      Best wait until after the election billy boy.

  • muselet

    This is just William Kristol playing the “Democrats Are Big, Fat Poopyheads” game. Again.

    As soon as he heard about events in Aurora, he wrote himself two speeches for the Sunday yak shows. If the Democrats proposed gun control legislation, he would have said they were being foolish and wrong-headed because The Murcan People® don’t want it. If the Democrats didn’t, he’d say they were being foolish and cowardly because The Murcan People® want moderate gun control.

    Heads, he wins; tails, the Ds lose.

    But…when POTUS floated the idea in 2009 of reinstituting the Assault Weapons Ban that expired in 2004, 65 House Dems said they’d oppose it.

    • Brutlyhonest

      BINGO! If the President took a stand, he would be stabbed in the back by Democrats. He learned that on day one (see GITMO closure order).

  • mrbrink

    Bill Kristol earlier this month on Mitt Romney and the economy: “his his campaign’s monomaniacal belief that it’s about the economy and only the economy, and that they need to keep telling us stupid voters that it’s only about the economy, has gone from being an annoying tick to a dangerous self-delusion.”

    So, I too, have recently found myself in agreement with Bill Kristol.

    But, oh…fuck him.