Mr. Wizard Was A Dick

I used to watch the show and wonder why any kid would want to share a camera with this guy. Evidently, I wasn’t the only one:

In hindsight, he totally reminds me of Philip Baker Hall as Jimmy Gator in Magnolia. Drunk, ornery, cynical and nearing the end.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Science and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Buffalodavid

    Mr. Wizard was a saint, a saint I tell ya!

    As a kid in the fifties and the sixties, when the show was at its best, one of the reasons I liked it was Don Herbert talked to kids just like they were people.

  • Bob McIntosh

    “We’re going to need another Timmy!”
    http://youtu.be/MM1S27fPUQY

  • http://twitter.com/Zirgar Zirgar

    Your mention of the always terrific Philip Baker Hall, brought to mind this quote from his Boogie Nights’ character, Floyd Gondoli:

    “I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That’s just me. That’s just something that I enjoy.”

    Perfect delivery. Makes me laugh every time.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-Morgan/100000299284844 Rich Morgan

    Next up, a compilation of all those things Soupy Sales was rumored to have said.

  • Todd Cline

    I much prefered Prof. Julius Sumner Miller (“and physics is my business.”)

  • Mike Huben

    Actually, he uses a teaching technique that is very important to science teachers: combatting misconceptions. Students usually start with wrong ideas about science, and it is important to confront those wrong ideas. Ignore them, and you leave them in place and wonder why the students didn’t learn. In chemistry, for example, there is a two volume book titled “Chemical Misconceptions”.

    Presenting this as dickishness is just stupid.