Obvious Hollywood Liberal Plots

Artist – Rob Tornoe of Media Matters

In other news, Team Romney is now apparently purchasing twitter followers to the tune of roughly 10,000 per hour.

In related musings — I’m not going to post a full review, but I will say I believe anyone suggesting The Dark Knight Rises was a “right-wing” film either wasn’t paying very close attention, the details went in one ear and out the other, or they’re just being hip.

If there was any political message at all contained in the film, it’s that anarchism is not a solution, and that imperfect government is better than no government. But even that is a stretch. Comics contain all manner of fantastic stories and they often broach sensitive subjects, placing unimaginable obstacles in the way of the story’s hero, but they do so for the sake of character, not to make political statements.

There are always exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Don’t take my word for it, and certainly don’t take the word of hipsters on twitter or Rush Limbaugh. See the film and judge for yourself. Better yet, pick up a few comics and read for yourself.

    Just saw the movie today. I enjoyed it greatly, but I think the Dark Knight was still better. I am interested in the fact that Director Nolan is now going to be making “The man of steel” due out next year.
    All in all, I thought this film was damn good. It seems to be the directors version of not only the Batman comic that introduced Bane, Knightfall. But it also had a touch of the story arc “No mans land” as well.

    • Lexamich

      Nolan incorporated so many Batman arcs into these movies, you’d need a laundry list to see where each was applied. The was a bit of Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited in there, and well Batman: Year One, Cataclysm, Gotham Central etc.

      That’s just The Dark Knight Returns.

      The three flicks are chock full of nods to Batman’s history.

      Spoiler:

      Deadshot was in there, too.

  • muselet

    Someone, I don’t remember who, listened to quite a lot of Rush Limbaugh within the past year or two and found that he follows a distinct pattern. He doesn’t take calls in the first couple of segments of the show, instead spinning tales of outrage. When he takes calls from listeners—who, by and large, comment on the stories he told at the top of the show—Limbaugh riffs on his listeners’ comments, expanding and elaborating on the narratives. By the end of the show, he and his large, ongoing focus group have generated a detailed—and utterly fanciful—story or two of Lefty perfidy. That’s how it usually works.

    I suspect that’s not what happened this week. Without knowing, I’m going to guess a caller was *grrr* furious that the villain in the new Batman movie is called Bane; Limbaugh was caught flat-footed and tried to vamp, but did a really bad job of it and fell on his face with a sickly splat.

    The funny thing is, if Limbaugh had simply ignored the pointing and laughing, the story would have gone away in a day because ultimately it means less than nothing. Instead, he tried to defend himself from the mockery of, among others, Rachel Maddow with that ridiculous “I never said it was a conspiracy” line (yeah, you did), which just made the rest of us laugh harder.

    Or Rush Limbaugh may really believe a Lefty comic-book writer in 1993 created a supervillain in the Batman universe named Bane so that a movie using that character could be used to mock Mitt Romney’s campaign for president in 2012.

    Either way, Rush Limbaugh is ridiculous.

    –alopecia

  • Brucehenry

    Sorry, I got the distinct feeling that we were supposed to think of the bad guys as class-enviers. Or class-enviers as bad guys, whatever.

    Still a cool movie, though. Like all comic book movies, I know nothing about the backstory and when I see them I hope they stand up on their own. Many do.

    • Lexamich

      Bane deliberately targeted the “upper class” because no one would have lifted a finger to help the “lower class.” This is spoken on (and later shown) in Batman Begins by Rachel Dawes, and explained by The Joker in The Dark Knight during both his Batman “interrogation” Harvey “Two-Face” confrontations. Bane’s plan was to lure Batamn out by targeting his resources and the “other” plan was to finish what Ra’s Al Ghul began in the first movie. Bane was not the mastermind behind the “other” plan. Bane simply wanted to “break” Batman.

      If anything, Batman was protecting ALL of Gotham, not just the upper, middle class, and lower class, but the criminal class,too. Batman believes in justice, plain and simple. The lie behind the Dent Act was destroying him from the inside. It wasn’t just Rachel that defeated him, it was Dent turning, and watching Jim go through what he’d already gone through on three separate occasions with Rachel.

      The first and third movies also showed how “the decadent” would allow ANYONE into its circle as long as they had enough cash. That’s not necessarily a stunning indictment, as it can also apply to any class. It’s just that Ra’s was correct in that all it took was the “will to act” on both ends.

      The movies aren’t left or right wing. They’re much deeper than that.