Remember This Thing?

Remember that vote of contempt for the GOP’s favorite boogeyman Eric Holder?

That Nothingburger has already faded from the public consciousness, but CNN decided to poll public reaction to the vote, and the results are enlightening.

A CNN poll shows that a 53 percent majority of Americans approve of the US House of Representatives holding U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress, a measure the House took last month as the standoff over the botched “gun-walking” operation Fast & Furious reached its peak. Thirty-three percent of Americans disapproved the action.

But that doesn’t mean Americans polled by CNN don’t question the motives of the contempt vote. A bigger majority, 61 percent, said that the vote’s purpose was to “gain political advantage,” while only 34 percent the vote represented “real ethical concerns.”

A majority approve of the vote, and a majority think it was conducted for political gain.

I’m going to take a shot in the dark and theorize that anyone who both approves of the vote, and believes it was for political advantage, are just happy to see the black attorney general be put in his place.

Either way, the entire fiasco clearly failed to register in the minds of voters as a serious concern.

The Republicans can’t even get their fake scandals right.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Fast and Furious and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Nontroversy is all they have this year. What else are they going to talk about? I see this kind of poll result the same way I saw the ones that showed a majority of Americans still thinking Iraq had something to do with 9/11. It’s a depressing study in mass psychology, but it makes a certain sick sense when you see it in the context of the full psyops campaign.

  • bphoon

    Isn’t fake scandals pretty much all they do these days?

    They’re really “good” at harrumphing and Being Very Serious when it involves someone across the aisle but when it’s one of them, well, they’ll just blurt a few more talking points and pretend that, to paraphrase Sharon Angle, someone asked the questions they wanted them to ask.

    They’re one big Monty Python routine…

  • Ipecac

    In the meantime, the Republicans are openly attempting to screw millions of Americans out of health care, cut food stamps for poor children, deprive minorities of the right to vote, and enact harsh restrictions on women’s rights, while simultaneously passing bigger tax breaks for the rich and corporations. AND MOST AMERICANS DON’T SEEM TO CARE.

    It’s driving me insane.

      Ditto, my friend, ditto

    • KanaW

      Yep. I get sadder every day. I’ll vote, but I don’t really hold out much hope for the future.