Rick Scott's Purge List is a Fraud

Florida, Florida, Florida. Via Joan McCarter:

Only 41 registered voters residing in 13 counties–this is out of the 2,625 names flagged by the Florida SOS as “potential noncitizens”–were removed from the rolls.

In other words, 98.4% of the 2,625 people identified by the Florida SOS as “potential noncitizens” remain on the rolls because the Supervisors of Elections found insufficient evidence that they were ineligible to be registered voters.

That’s basically all of them. So it’s obvious that Rick Scott simply didn’t want these people to vote — probably because of who they would likely select on election day.

  • ranger11

    Hope they didn’t purge me. Maybe I’m safe ’cause I’m from “rich” Sarasota. I hope.

  • Clancy

    Interesting to note that the source doesn’t indicate that those (few) actually removed from the voter rolls were excluded due to their citizenship status. It’s entirely possible that most of those actually removed were excluded for other reasons (i.e., they no longer live at the address, death, felony conviction, etc.).

  • http://profiles.google.com/jadopine Jim Oliver

    This might actually work out well for democrats – I know if i was inconvenienced by someone making me prove I was eligible to vote, I would make DAMN SURE I vote come election day. And not for the jackhole that inconvenienced me, either.

  • bphoon

    The whole Voter ID thing is a fraud. Here in Kansas we have a Secretary of State named Kris Kobach. He used to “teach” law at Liberty “University” “School” of Law. He’s trying everything he can to make a national name for himself among wingers. I think he fancies himself another Paul Ryan or Eric Cantor.

    Anyway, he helped write Arizona’s SB 1070 and Alabama’s HR 56. He got himself elected SoS in KS in ’10 and immediately sent the legislature the Kansas Secure and Fair Elections (S.A.F.E.–get it?) Act which mandates that every voter produce a valid ID as dictated by the Act in order to exercise their constitutional right to vote. While it was being debated, Kobach’s office made a lot of noise about how widespread voter fraud is in this state and how vitally necessary this law is in order to assure “fair” and “valid” elections.

    This, in a state that records an average of 1.5 million votes every Presidential election cycle. This, in a state, that has had fewer than 15 cases of vote fraud reported in the last 13 years. This, in a state that has had a grand total of seven (yes, 7) prosecutions for vote fraud with only four convictions in the last 13 years.

    Quite a problem, that voter fraud thing, isn’t it? Yet our legislature passed it (with some Democratic votes!) and our erstwhile governor, Sam Brownshirt….er…Brownback…signed it. So now, we have to show ID in order to vote. Starting 1/1/13, we have to show proof of citizenship in order to register to vote, and Kobach has been lobbying hard to move that effective date up to this fall, before the election–imagine that.

    Naked ambition, meet transparent voter suppression.

  • D_C_Wilson

    That’s why I love living in Pennsylvania. When the GOP plans on stealing the election, they have the decency to be upfront and say out loud.