Romney Fever

John Boehner has Romney Fever.

“Can you make me love Mitt Romney?”

“No,” Boehner said. “Listen, we’re just politicians. I wasn’t elected to play God. The American people probably aren’t going to fall in love with Mitt Romney. I’ll tell you this: 95 percent of the people that show up to vote in November are going to show up in that voting booth, and they are going to vote for or against Barack Obama.

“Mitt Romney has some friends, relatives and fellow Mormons … some people that are going to vote for him. But that’s not what this election is about. This election is going to be a referendum on the president’s failed economic policies.

Other than his fellow Mormons and his closest friends, no one is going to cast their vote for Mitt Romney, according to John Boehner. Thanks for that.

The last time an election became all about dislike for the incumbent, the incumbent won. It’s not a winning strategy. The only advantage Romney has over the incumbent in 2012 that Kerry didn’t have in 2004 is that the current president is black. Kerry and Bush were both white guys.

I don’t believe that alone is enough to delivery a victory to Team Romney, but it would be naive to dismiss it as irrelevant. Because if the president were white, the election probably wouldn’t be as close as it currently is.

It’s a depressing thought, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned for certain over the past four years, it’s that America is still very racist. And not just on the Right side of the aisle.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Since John Boehner wants us to think he’s a smart person, he goes beyond the party-approved talking points. Since he’s not actually a smart person, we get core dumps like this.

    Pity Boehner’s latest won’t get reported beyond Roll Call and the few political blogs that pick up the story.

    “I wasn’t elected to play God.”

    Really? You lie, Agent Orange! You and your fellow fuckwads on the right have done everything subhumanly possible to prevent the country from moving forward and getting out of the economic morass you helped to create. All to deny the black man in the White House any potential success that could get him re-elected. You’re a fucking hick hack!

  • willpen

    I sometimes feel that I am living in a bubble that seems to be suffocating me more and more each day. No matter how much we may try and reason with these “folks of limited scope” I really think that we may just be the ones creating our own bubble in order to protect ourselves from the craziness that is out there.

    I have almost become afraid to venture out there into the world of politics because when I do I am faced with such a sense of hatred and fear that I can do nothing else but despair for what is to come. There is no reasoning with these people. They are hell bent on taking this country to the brink with no regard for the fallout that will be left in their wake. I am tired and oh so worried for the future of this country. No amount of fighting against this will make a difference. We only have each other left to console. We are living amongst a growing insanity…

  • mrbrink

    “Mitt Romney has some friends, relatives and fellow Mormons … some people that are going to vote for him. But that’s not what this election is about.”

    Can’t. Stop. Laughing.

  • Treading_Water

    Mitt. Candidate. Lukewarm.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Shaun-Dudley/1175760151 Shaun Dudley

    I’m frankly startled at the level of honesty we’re seeing from the GOP this year. From “defeating Obama is our only goal”, to the blatant attempts to deny people’s (well, CERTAIN people’s) voting rights, to this; Boehner straight-up admitting that no one likes this entitled doofus, but he regurgitates the red meat for the rubes & can be relied upon to keep the baksheesh flowing to the Right Sorts so we’re going with him. Breathtaking.

    I hear you, Willpen. This is what I go back and read when I get that feeling-

    “If you feel yourself to be helpless and ineffectual, it is a certainty that you will choose a despot to be your leader. Therefore, the wise despot maintains among his people popular feelings of helplessness & ineffectuality” -Frank Herbert

    You are not helpless, or ineffectual. You have more allies than you think right now, and more coming everyday. Yes, it will get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. Look at the Occupy kids. Hell, look at the Tea Party. I think the TP’ers have the wrong targets, but that anger is entirely justified.

    Be of good cheer, Willpen! The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong! Time, and Chance, will get them all in the end.

    Or, we could just be totally fucked, and the best we can do is leave a good lesson for the future. On a long enough timeline, everyone’s life expectancy is reduced to zero…