The Better Candidate?

“Oh come on, because we thought that Sarah Palin was the better candidate. Why did we not take [Tim] Pawlenty, why did we not take any of the other 10 other people. Why didn’t I? Because we had a better candidate, the same way with all the others. … Come on, why? That’s a stupid question.” -John McCain on his VP choice

John McCain denies that Romney’s tax returns had anything to do with choosing Sarah Palin over him for vice president, but saying Palin was the better candidate seems worse to me than admitting Romney’s taxes were indefensible.

Does this mean John McCain believes Palin would be a better candidate than Romney right now?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Lazarus Durden

    I gotta agree somewhat with McCain on this one. He picked Palin before the 2008 Financial Crash so a VP business guy wouldn’t have been his first choice. Besides Romney is just your typical Corporate Alpha dog asshole. I don’t think he’d of been McCain’s number 2, and I don’t think McCain would want him on the ticket.

    Palin was a cynical attempt to attract the so-called “pissed off Hillary” moderates who didn’t really exist, or at least they wouldn’t vote for McCain.

    Isn’t the rumor that McCain really wanted Joe Liberman to be his VP pick or is that just unsubstantiated hearsay?

    • BenAu

      If you read “Game Change”, Liberman was definitely his preference and Palin was the “mavericky” choice when that proved untenable.

      There’s a great passage in the book where the other 2008 primary candidates give their opinion on Romney…”souless” was my favourite (from McCain or Giuliani can’t remember which).

      I don’t think they didn’t pick him because of his tax returns, I think they didn’t pick him because McCain didn’t like him and he wouldn’t have picked them up extra votes anywhere from any demographic.

      • Lazarus Durden

        Makes sense. Romney wasn’t electrifying to the hard Right or religious conservatives like Mike Huckabee was.

    • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

      Palin, awful as she is, did energize that campaign. Republicans were almost as “meh” about McCain as they are Romney, those two on a ticket together would’ve been the cure for insomnia.

      • Lazarus Durden

        ROFL! That’s true. Man that would’ve been just an epic bore. I mean just thinking about it has *head hits keyboard* ZzzzzzzzZzzzzzz

  • Lazarus Durden

    But yeah JM that kind of is a back handed remark against Romney isn’t? LOL

  • Victor_the_Crab

    A better candidate? You consider stupid, ambitious, and obnoxious qualities for a better candidate?

    Fuck off, old man!

      At least the Half-Gov stands for things. Stupidiy, ambitiousness and obnoxiousness, yes, but she’s ALL IN.

      Whereas, with Willard…..

        …he doesn’t remember what he said, but he stands behind it, for Pete’s sake.

        At least when she lost interest in her job halfway through, she had the decency to hand it over to someone who wanted it. That’s more than you can say for Half-Gov Willard.

  • ElayneB

    Better as in she only owned one house. But damn, that stings doesn’t it Mitt??

  • Brutlyhonest

    Who? John who?