The Embarrassment Tour Continues

The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Slovak Republic would like for Mitt Romney to mind his own business.

Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney attacked President Barack Obama’s administration this week for abandoning Poland and the Czech Republic by altering plans for an American missile defense system in Europe.

But the Slovak foreign minister, in Washington this week for meetings with U.S. officials, said Thursday that Europe has fully embraced the new approach to missile defense and said Mr. Romney was dredging up settled debates.

“People have moved on,” said Miroslav Lajcak, the minister of foreign affairs and deputy prime minister, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. “We are in a different situation now. We are discussing a different project. I see no reason to revisit discussions from three years back.”

For the record — the Obama administration did not “abandon” eastern Europe as Mitt Romney is alleging.

Land-based ballistic missile defense was ruffling too many feathers, thanks in part to arrogant Bush-era saber-rattling and cowboy-ism, so the land-based system was shelved in favor of a sea-based system. The United States is still fully committed to defending eastern Europe from phantom threats.

Meanwhile, even Karl Rove has been forced to admit that Romney’s London trip was an embarrassment.

You have to shake your head. Gov. Romney went to the London Olympics at invitation of the International Olympic Committee. It was a great opportunity for him to talk about his experiences, look, he stepped away from the leadership of Bain Capital for three years in order to step in and save the floundering Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002. I bet there is lots of stories he could be talking about what a wonderful experience that was and how uplifting and inspiring it was. Instead he got stuck making a, somehow or another that the comments the Brits took as insult, and walked it back pretty quickly and walked it back adroitly but nonetheless the damage was done.

What Rove means to say is that a trip to London is suppose to be the easy part, but he coated it in a thin layer of victim-shaming, blaming the British for being offended by obviously offensive remarks.

If a foreign representative traveled to America and questioned the moral integrity of the entire nation one day before Olympic opening ceremonies, there would be a similar reaction.

Of course Mitt Romney is somewhat unique in that his systems haven’t been properly calibrated for diplomacy, or empathy, or compassion, or almost anything, so that’s unlikely to occur.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • edgery

    Really can’t wait to see what pile he steps in next – maybe he could just get lost somewhere in Poland and skip Israel altogether?

    • muselet

      I picture his World Tour more like this.

      That would be just too much to hope for!

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I’m thinking maybe that Grand Nagus Mitt has become so accustomed to, and so insulated by, the American right-wing GOP-enabling media hate-o-sphere that he thinks everyone he talks to is the Fox/Limbaugh audience.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Imagine Romney’s reaction when British Prime Minister David Cameron – leader of that country’s Conservative party – verbally smacked him down over his comments questioning London’s readiness to host the Olympics. I’ll bet his main circuits bursted into flames.

  • gescove

    This R2 unit has a bad motivator. Look!
    I’m waiting for the Romneybot’s head to blow open in a cloud of smoke and electrical fire. “It does not compute, compu…, com…, bzzt, fizzle.”

  • trgahan

    Clearly the next republican presidency (whether in 2012 or 2016 or beyond) will be another foreign policy disaster for the Unitied States.

  • willpen

    This is just an example of Mitt being Mitt. An entitled self serving douche bag that grew up never really having to be part of the real world or having to worry about it. So this is what will inevitably happen when you try and put the two together on the world stage. It simply is a matter of him not really knowing what he has actually done wrong. I would love to know what goes on in that egotistical brain of his.

  • muselet

    … and walked it back pretty quickly and walked it back adroitly …

    I’d say Mitt Romney walked his idiotic and insulting comment back frantically and walked it back ineptly.

    Karl Rove’s dictionary is special, isn’t it?

      Yes, in the short bus kind of way.

  • http://twitter.com/kerryreid Kerry Reid

    I’m really tired of this “Oh, they just hate our success” line of horse hockey (different from horse ballet!) coming out of the Romney camp. Bull. I have no problem with successful people like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, George Soros, or even people who largely inherited money and have reinvested in their communities. What I hate are bullies and jerks — especially when they’re stumbling over their clown shoes on the international stage and pretending to represent American “values.”

    God, here I thought the “bad touches” Dubya gave Angela Merkel would go down as the most clueless and entitled thing ever done by a Republican abroad.

    Wait. Wait.wait.wait.

    “Gov. Romney … stepped away from the leadership of Bain Capital for three years in order to…”

    Karl Rove Admits Romney Was Still With Bain!

  • majii

    I’m appalled at the idea that millions of Americans think Romney is presidential material. He has clearly demonstrated that there are so many issues he doesn’t know anything about. Compared to PBO, he is a lightweight. Even the British press remarked about the difference between the way the president interacted with PM Cameron and the way Romney interacted with him. Some British officials have said outright that they prefer PBO to Romney the robot.

  • D_C_Wilson

    It’s not his fault. The programming team hasn’t upgraded Romneybot’s “ferreners” database since 1991.

    • http://www.facebook.com/kevin.cummings.102 Kevin Cummings

      also changed the programming so often, The MRII ( or is it III?) unit contantly mixes up his programming files