The Most Awesome Thing You'll See All Day

The size of the universe is beyond what any of us can fully grasp. But this helps:

The Universe made possible by Number Sleuth

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Science and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • sherifffruitfly

    yah that’s deffo pretty fucking sexy.

    cool thing about it is that the best theory we have for stuff at one end of the scale is inconsistent with the best theory we have for stuff at the other end. self-pwn BEST pwn! lols

  • http://twitter.com/Zirgar Zirgar

    How can the USA not be the biggest thing ever?! EVER!!!!! Stupid commie libtard Universe!

    I’ve seen a GIF like this that shows the size of the earth, then the planets, then the sun, then all the largest known stars. Another was done on the deep-sky view from Hubble showing all the galaxies in one tiny piece of the night sky.
    The star one was used to combat idiot fundies who believe that a third of the stars will fall to earth in the end-times. This is even cooler than that however.

  • Ipecac

    Powers of Ten, Baby!

    Beautifully done. But “Adam and Eve”? Really?

      Actually, I think the author/creator meant it as tongue in cheek….take a look at some of the other comments on the images, they’re amusing.

      • Ipecac

        I’m sure you’re right. I just hate giving the Fundies any room on this. They don’t get “tongue and cheek”. They see it as vindication.

  • http://twitter.com/Zirgar Zirgar

    Apparently Sarah Palin saw this and remarked, “Just another example of science-y liberal types trying to pull a fast one on good ol’ every day, common sense Americans. I mean, think about it; how’d they get the camera all the way out on the edge of the Universe like that? Fake. See? I’m always thinkin’.”

  • JoanOfSnark

    That was so cool the geek in me just pulled a groin muscle :)

  • bphoon

    Very. Fuckin. Cool.

    That is very frickin cool! Did you notice how in the final image of the Observable Universe we are at the center…..we so very tiny in so many ways