The Voter ID Poll Tax and the Childish Republican Response

My Wednesday column was a follow-up on Voter ID and its roots in the Jim Crow era poll tax:

By way of a follow-up to my column yesterday about the Republican effort to disenfranchise millions of poor, elderly and working class Americans by passing Voter ID laws that require a government-issued photo ID in order to vote, I’d like to cover a well-worn Republican political tactic that’s suddenly been tossed into the ID mix by everyone’s favorite nitwit, Texas Governor Rick Perry.

Rewind to last week. I’m not sure how I missed this, but Attorney General Eric Holder rightfully described Voter ID laws as a poll tax — a primary feature of the century-long Jim Crow era in which white lawmakers disenfranchised black voters by passing laws that made it extraordinarily difficult for them to vote and, ultimately, to be harassed, arrested and enslaved (see Douglas Blackmon’s extraordinary Slavery By Another Name) in the white South.

Specifically, Holder referred to laws that forced voters to pay a fee to vote, thus making it difficult for low-income black voters to cast a ballot. In Louisiana, for example, only one-half of one percent of the black population was actually allowed to vote in 1910 due to Jim Crow laws. Jefferson Parish in Louisiana charged a fee of $1 to vote, the equivalent of around $18 today. Now, if you’re dirt poor and you’re faced with a choice between feeding your kids for a week and voting in a comparatively trivial election, which would you choose? Clearly, you stay home on Election Day. Mission accomplished.

Likewise, and as I argued yesterday, Voter ID laws force potential registered voters to pay a fee to attain a photo ID. Continue reading here…

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Good article and I 100% agree with you about what the Repubs are doing and why. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the DOJ can challenge and get injunctions against all of these voter ID laws in time for the November election.

  • http://twitter.com/Zirgar Zirgar

    If you want a really good explanation of why the African American community shuns the GOP, and how the GOP has either deliberately antagonized the African American community or simply ignored it, then read this blog post. It’s terrific, and it was written in early 2009, before most of the crazy race-baiting stuff during Persident Obama’s first term:

    http://elleabd.blogspot.com/2009/05/loud-and-clear.html

    • BenAu

      Very good reading. Thanks for the tip.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    If you go out of your way to deny ANY AMERICAN their right to vote, then you must be labeled as anti-American. Period!

    What Republicans are doing is anti-American and they must be dealt with as such.