This Should Be Totally Annoying to Watch

The president is evidently committed to allowing the Bush tax cuts for the super-rich to expire. Though I have no idea how he’ll preserve the tax cuts for middle and lower tax brackets. I don’t see how the Republicans will allow him to pass a continuation of those cuts, while bailing on the others.

Obama adviser Robert Gibbs insisted that the president would not support giving rich people another tax break. “Let’s make some progress on our spending by doing away with tax cuts for people who quite frankly don’t need them – tax cuts that haven’t worked,” Gibbs said during an appearance on CNN’s State of the Union. Obama is “100% committed” to that position, he insisted.

It will probably suck in many different ways to observe the Republicans try to out-flank the president on this one.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Taxes and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_TLHIXVS2CHDJNWYPZJIZ5NNZ3A Robert

    I have heard Dems say that the President is caving to the Republicans, when in fact, this has been his position all along.

  • moelarryandjesus

    Maybe he’ll do what he should have done when they were expiring in the first place – let them all expire and then beat the living shit out of the Repiglicans until they agreed to restore the cuts for the middle class.

  • http://twitter.com/eaglesfanintn eaglesfanintn

    If the Bush tax cuts worked to create jobs, wouldn’t unemployment be at its lowest point ever? Isn’t that evidence alone that it just doesn’t work that way?

    • bphoon

      Here’s an economic question I really enjoy posing to committed wingnuts: “So, if job creation hinges on, say, tax cuts for the wealthy, and the wealthy have enjoyed lowered tax rates for eleven years now, where are all the fucking jobs?”

      They tend to tie themselves in knots trying to explain that.

  • bphoon

    Seems to me he could let all the tax cuts expire even as he introduces separate legislation cutting taxes on the middle class. He could then not only be seen as trying to do something good for the common man, he could make the GOP eat its own shit over it. After all, isn’t voting against a tax cut defined as a tax increase by Grover Norquist?