Wasteful Spending!

This story is tickling my funny bone.

ThinkProgress examined spending records for the 112th Congress and found seven GOP freshmen — Reps. Chip Cravaack (R-MN), Sean Duffy (R-WI), Bill Flores (R-TX), Cory Gardner (R-CO), Bill Johnson (R-OH), Mike Pompeo (R-KS), and Steve Womack (R-AR) — who had spent an average of $15,000 on cars for themselves. All together, their taxpayer bill totaled $106,643.

There is nothing illegal about the practice of using taxpayer money to lease personal-use cars, but it smacks of hypocrisy for Tea Partiers like Duffy who promised to “lead by example” when it comes to deficit reduction.

That’s not the only reason this story is particularly amusing for Rep. Sean Duffy.

As you may recall, Sean Duffy of Wisconsin is the man who said he was “struggling” on his salary of $174,000 per year, and that the federal government should cut spending just like his family has been forced to cut spending. And apparently the way to do that is to have taxpayers pay for your car.

I just had a flashback of all the “belt tightening” talk during the summer of deficit hysteria last year and now I need a drink.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/Zirgar Zirgar

    A tight belt is relative to the size of the gut it encircles. And if that gut is one that constantly grows, well, soon you run out of belt entirely. So then you need suspenders. Then the suspenders become stretched beyond all limits of financial decency until finally they snap, killing millions of jobs. Then finally there’s not enough cloth or leather or elastic or shame anywhere to suit your needs, so you go around in the nude, all the while being fiscally responsible.

    PS–I have no idea what I just said.

      And all the peons around you will tell you how your clothes look so fine and they’ll keep telling you that until you forget you have no clothes on and you reach the event horizon of epistemic closure.

      PS: I knew exactly what you meant

  • Staci Bass

    Hell, I can cut my spending too if I can get some other person to pay my bills.

  • agrazingmoose

    Speaking of needing a drink. Wasn’t there a photo of Paul Ryan at a table in some DC restaurant that showed a huge number of empty bottles of very expensive wine?

    Maybe I am misremembering.

    • agrazingmoose
      • majii

        No, you’re not crazy. Ryan was out celebrating his birthday at a toney DC restaurant last year with some “kings” of finance where he was confronted by a woman about it. And, yep, he was imbibing an expensive wine with his dinner. I remember reading about it on TPM.

  • mrbrink

    Honka-honka, peasants!

  • dfb68

    NOW you need a drink?! Ashby, I needed one back in 2008 when Sarah Palin was chosen, or when we went into Iraq, or….the list is endless really.