What Could Go Wrong?

What could go wrong when you slash the pay of your police officers and fire fighters to the minimum wage of $7.25 per hour? That’s several dollars less than your typical adult employee at a fast food chain.

Amid Scranton’s ever-deepening financial crisis, Mayor Chris Doherty said his administration is going forward with a plan to unilaterally slash the pay of 398 workers to the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour with today’s payroll, insisting it is all the city can afford.

That will likely earn administration officials an appointment with Judge Michael Barrasse, who granted the city’s police, fire and public works unions a special injunction temporarily barring the administration from imposing the pay cuts after a brief hearing Thursday.

The White Castle by my previous apartment started out at $12 per hour, and their employees aren’t being asked to risk their lives, save other people’s lives, or carry guns.

And it’s Scranton. The city MSNBC’s Chris Matthews is constantly waxing nostalgic about. Because it’s a beacon of merit-based societal progression, hard work, and blue collar triumph. Why cant President Obama connect with the residents of this white, working-class bastion? A question Matthews routinely ponders on the air.

Hopefully this will turn more than a few heads.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ned F

    Why cant President Obama connect with the residents of this white, working-class bastion? This is the Pennsyltucky part of PA. I’m sure their entire plight is Obama and the Democrats fault.
    I notice they owe 2 million to Blue Cross for health insurance for city employees and I’m almost sure this is being blamed on the greedy union. Tax hikes are being proposed, but we all know where that’s headed. Good luck to ‘em.

    • JMAshby

      It was a rhetorical question, but yes.

      Obama’s fault.

      • Gideon Money

        Hardly…The financial woes of Scranton began with the reduction of property taxes almost a decade ago, and the Bush recession that began in August of 2008.

  • D_C_Wilson

    “And it’s Scranton. The city MSNBC’s Chris Matthews is constantly waxing nostalgic about. Because it’s a beacon of merit-based societal progression, hard work, and blue collar triumph. ”

    Tweety is an idiot.

    Scranton is a shithole of corruption and political cronyism. Has been for decades now.

  • bphoon

    Old saying: When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. I wonder how many houses have to burn down or how many crimes go unsolved (or the wrong people arrested) before people finally realize that functional public services have to be paid for.

    Otherwise, it’s everyone for himself…hmm…oh, yeah…that’s what the Tea Party wants…I hope they’re happy.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Of course they’re happy about it. They’re stupid.

      • Staci Bass

        And they don’t think it will happen to them.

  • trgahan

    and ever so slowly, American becomes the richest third world nation on the face of the earth.