Why Do People Hate Liberals?

My Wednesday column is an expanded examination of the problems facing liberals and how Americans really don’t hate us — they hate that we can’t sell our ideas like conservatives do.

It’s only slightly less frustrating to watch Fox News Channel and to listen to right-wing talk radio as it often is to observe progressives choke on their own well-meaning, but ultimately self-defeating tongues.

Seriously, the act of observing fellow liberals every day on the blogs, on The Facebook and elsewhere too often makes me want to smash my computer using a team of monkeys brandishing explosive wiffle bats. Specifically, the act of watching progressives who don’t understand the realities of American government and politics, watching progressives desperately seeking “reasonable” conservatives in some sort of futile attempt at détente, and watching hipster cool-kid progressives undermining support for the most liberal president of our time might actually make me lose my shpadoinkle, even though I generally feel pretty centered.

To be honest, I didn’t intend to get into yet another column-length rant about this topic… until I read a piece on Salon by Alex Pareene who thinks, “Aaron Sorkin is why people hate liberals.” Continue reading here…

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    I actually don’t think that Republicans do a good job of selling their policies, because their policy is usually terrible, both practically and politically. What they’re good at is reciting poll-tested talking points in lieu of discussing policy, and hope that enough Americans fall for the ruse that they regain power. They don’t win any debates except with the strawmen they conjure, and most Americans can’t tell the difference.

    Democrats can suck at messaging sometimes but they’re in an uphill battle against a gullible, uninformed population and a complicit media who will do anything to avoid discussing policy.

  • CapitalistInfidel

    f a conservative doesn’t like guns, he doesn`t buy one.
    If a liberal doesn’t like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

    If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn`t eat meat.
    If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

    If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy.
    A liberal wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.

    If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
    If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

    If a black man or Hispanic are conservative, they see themselves as independently successful.
    Their liberal counterparts see themselves as victims in need of government protection.

    If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
    A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

    If a conservative doesn’t like a talk show host, he switches channels.
    Liberals demand that those they don’t like be shut down.

    If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn’t go to church.
    A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.