Worst Persons

The patrons of First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Mississippi are today’s worst persons for this.

A predominately white church in Mississippi barred an African American couple from marrying and threatened to vote out their pastor if he officiated the wedding on the premises. Charles and Te’Andrea Wilson had “booked the church and distributed invitations” for their July 21st wedding, only to discover that a small minority opposed their union at the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs. “This had never been done before here, so it was setting a new precedent, and there are those who reacted to that because of that,” said Dr. Stan Weatherford, the pastor, who performed the ceremony at a nearby church.

To reiterate – this wasn’t the pastor’s decision. It belongs to the bigoted patrons who attend his church.

The last time I checked this is 2012, but apparently it’s still 1960 at the Crystal Springs First Baptist Church.

Meanwhile on the other side of the ocean, thousands of athletes of every race, sex, and nationality are competing on a level playing field.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nike68
  • ninjaf

    According to the original article, this was their church. They were members of this congregation. They were not merely renting the church and pastor’s services.

    • KanaW

      If I were them, I’d find another church. Horrible people go to that one.

  • atlavely

    But… but… Christians!

  • http://www.facebook.com/john.w.davoll John Walter Davoll

    Speaking as a pastor, this certainly was the pastor’s decision. He was called to lead this congregation, not follow it. He made the offer to marry the couple in a different location out of a desire to compromise between the couple and “the needs” of his community. That’s cowardice. He should have either owned up to agreeing with the backward beliefs of his people, OR he should have held his ground and married the couple because it was the right thing to do, job or no job. This person acted in the most UN-pastor-ly way.